WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: WSL  (Read 355 times)

Offline vinceASPECT

WSL
« on: September 18, 2024, 04:47:16 PM »
Hello forum,

please may I ask a question regarding Linux?

There is a system available which is titled WSL for Msoft........it allows. Linux to be run on top of an already running.msoft machine.

My system here is a completely fresh brand new Windows 64 Home install..... updated to today ......the WSL is working correctly.

....i saw many flavours of distro that I could choose for a Linux install into WSL. One is called Pistachio.

...... P allows me to try any other Linux flavours I desire without actually installing them. Pistachio Linux  seems to be running fine and I put
"xorg" into it.....i also put in "Links" browser which works. I tried to install "X server" and it said it needed a specific type. What else would I need before I could achieve a GUI desktop from pistachio?...... Please.?

Also, how would i install tiny core?.....into pistachio.?

thx
C

Offline nick65go

Re: WSL
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2024, 02:54:00 PM »
You can "manualy install" ANY linux you want! including not-provided Tinycore, Alpine linux, etc.
Of course FIRST you need a working distro, M$ provides you with few ready to use: Ubuntu is OK.
Code: [Select]
wsl -l -o
The following is a list of valid distributions that can be installed.
Install using 'wsl.exe --install <Distro>'.
NAME                            FRIENDLY NAME
Ubuntu                          Ubuntu
Debian                          Debian GNU/Linux
kali-linux                      Kali Linux Rolling
Ubuntu-24.04                    Ubuntu 24.04 LTS
OracleLinux_9_1                 Oracle Linux 9.1
openSUSE-Tumbleweed             openSUSE Tumbleweed

In that linux you, in an arbitrary folder (/tmp/fake) you
1. extract a "root" structure (aka /bin/, /usr, etc) ex: from Tinycore root.gz.
2. using tar, you make an archive of that "/tmp/fake", as mylinux.tar.
3. from Windows10 use  "wsl--import-in-place <Distro> <FileName>", so "wsl - --import-in-place myTinyCore mylinux.tar"
Enjoy your "myTinyCore" distro. (is a VHD - virtual disk, booted with a kernel 5.15 of microsoft).

FYI: I created an EMPTY file in wondows11 with notepad (nano.txt). and using "wsl - --import-in-place TINY  nano.txt", and windows will buid for me a VHDX disk. Then in Ubuntu I mount it and then I can create any Linux root structure, even "/bin" as a simlink to "/usr/bin" etc.
This is the procedure to create my personal Archlinux, Apline, Tinycore starting from ZERO files on disk.

PS: you do NOT need a kernel (neither its modules for sound, video, network etc), windows provides one for you! You just need a root structure, as in chroot.

PS2: You do NOT need a Xorg server. windows provides one for you, with hardware acceleration! basicaly you run a linux under a hypervisor (like qemu, virtualbox, vmware) but with multhreading.

wsl -v
WSL version: 2.3.21.0
Kernel version: 5.15.153.1-2
WSLg version: 1.0.65  -- all your graphical applications run in linux, but you see them as windows appls :) , even outside of linux box/frame.
MSRDC version: 1.2.5620
Direct3D version: 1.611.1-81528511
DXCore version: 10.0.26100.1-240331-1435.ge-release
Windows version: 10.0.22631.4169
« Last Edit: September 19, 2024, 03:02:20 PM by nick65go »

Offline nick65go

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2024, 03:33:07 PM »
vinceASPECT, I hope you understand that you do not need to run a linux (tinycore) on top / inside another linux (pistachio) on top of windows10. AFTER you get your minimal "root" from any distro (or you build it by yourself) then you just run that linux directly from windows

The first linux (Ubuntu) is just a tool to build your root. Or you can grab an already made miniroot. BTW you can SHARE any comand AND any file between Windows and LINUX, from comand prompt in Windows, or terminal in Linux, or file-explorer win/linux, there is complete integration between sytems.

FYI: you can run in parallel multiple linux distro. And if you share folders or an additional (real or virtual) disk, you can even copy between linux distro etc. Is like chroot on stereoizi.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2024, 03:39:01 PM by nick65go »

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2024, 04:45:39 PM »
Hello there.

Your answers are very compreshensive and i will need to look at them carefully......

YEs, i realise i COULD have just grabbed one of the standard Limux distros which WSL offered
but i fiigured they are large downloads although there are several nice ones in the MSOFT STORE
iincluding ALPINE.

i grabbed the Pistachio fior it's fexibiluty but indeed one needs to understand HOW to
use it........i could not find any documention on it....

i can see that you grasped WHY i may have got the pistachio........because of indeed being able
to run multiple linux's at native speed even in parallel and talking between windows and themselves too....

i will look into here.....

there is a new machine here for doing it.........

thanks
C

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2024, 06:04:17 AM »
i found that below

Describes running many flavours of linux in parallel and in realtime on Msoft
Live......

it tells you how to do GUI apps.......and the graphics hardware acceleration in  WSL 2 linux

it also tells you how to run those distros at their GUI desktop state.....

thx
C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxTW22y8zV8
« Last Edit: September 20, 2024, 06:22:51 AM by vinceASPECT »

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2024, 05:40:21 PM »

did you try searching the forum ?  ???

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2024, 05:14:47 AM »