WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: HELP - Installation Information  (Read 1613 times)

Offline NarakuITA

Re: HELP - Installation Information
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2024, 05:31:33 AM »
Step 4,
In the white line you can specify the boot options separated by space.
If you have pre made partitions in step 1 you will have a choice sda1, sda2, sda3… or sdb1, sdx2, sdb3,… or other name.
If you did whole dis ar step 1 you only can choose sda1, sdb1 ot other name. You know the name as the disk name is shown in step 1.

Note: you can change these later in the tce/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf file
I think there is a problem with this distribution. Does not format.
Gets stuck on formatting.
It makes the disk unreadable for me, but does not complete the formatting. There is no error, no error is displayed. But after 10 minutes, nothing happens. The disk is also small 15GB. With other distributions no problem. They format which is a beauty.
What can I do?

Offline gadget42

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2024, 06:00:50 AM »
With other distributions no problem. They format which is a beauty.

giving more details on your successes with these other distros might provide helpful

which have you tried successfully?
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline NarakuITA

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2024, 06:55:21 AM »
With other distributions no problem. They format which is a beauty.

giving more details on your successes with these other distros might provide helpful

which have you tried successfully?
The distributions that I have installed without problems are Slitaz and Q4OS. They formatted and installed everything without any problems.
I would like to specify that as a disk, there is an IDE adapter with a Compact Flash, this is to make reading and writing faster than the mechanical disk. It shouldn't be a problem, because in the past Windows 95 to Windows 2000 installed without problems. As installed the two Linux distributions without problems too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 07:02:09 AM by NarakuITA »

Offline NarakuITA

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2024, 09:14:17 AM »
So, I solved it via GParted. I created two partitions one to install Tiny Core and the other swap. Installation completed and reboot.
Here's the first problem, it doesn't boot, even though I selected to install the Bootloader, it doesn't seem to have it installed. How do you install it so that the operating system can boot? For now I have to use what I have on the floppy.

Offline Stefann

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2024, 01:29:23 PM »
Should boot.
Is bootorder in bios correct?
 The only other thing I can think of is that the “disk clean” was incomplete.
You could try to thorowly whipe it with fdisk.
create new partition table with the o command
After that create new partitions

The install tool itself works pretty good in my experience.

Offline NarakuITA

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2024, 02:54:06 PM »
I am not very experienced with fdisk. I struggled to understand how it works. I deleted everything and formatted. I did not create a swap partition because I do not know how. However, the problem persists. So I resumed gparted and entered two partitions for the operating system and swap. If I remember correctly Slitaz uses Grub as the bootloader and has no problems
Maybe I should try puppy linux, maybe it's simpler... I don't know...
I don't know which Linux operating system is best for this PC.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 02:57:27 PM by NarakuITA »

Offline Stefann

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2024, 07:09:33 PM »
Well,…
Tbh… it’s not completely clear “what works and what not”.
In earlier posts you say you get the screens from the installer gui so I assume you have tiny core operational from a removable media?

If that is true: the installer in my experience creates a bootable disk, including bootloader and all. So.. if it does not boot next step is to check that the bios is configured from the media you try to boot from.

If not:
I don’t understand how you format your disk (if you have no os running how would you do that?).
And.. if you not use the tinycore install application you will need to manually create a bootsector and write master bootrecord and/or manually install and configure grub or syslinux.
Getting such manual bootloader working is quite a trick. It took me a full weekend to achieve that. It very much depends what existing is you use to create the bootable disk. Linux or windows.

Offline NarakuITA

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2024, 06:58:00 AM »
So I'll leave it for now. Maybe I jumped too quickly into a complex operating system for beginners. I need to get some experience first.

Offline NarakuITA

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2024, 07:58:50 AM »
So... Before you try to abandon the possibility of installing the system. I gave it one last try! And it was successful.
Using GParted from another linux distribution. I created an ext4 partition and a swap. After that, on the partition where I install Tiny, I set a flag, "Boot". I installed everything and the operating system now boots!
Now, here I need help because I can't do it alone, or the commands I enter are incorrect.
I need to set the keyboard to Italian and if there is a localization, I would like to set the language to Italian.
Once this is done, is it possible to install a simpler, Windows-style interface?

Offline Stefann

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2024, 12:59:10 PM »
Which version did you install?
In order to have additional keyboards you need to install the plus version.
The standard windows manager is fwlm, the plus version gives you a choice of others. Still you cannot ‘just expect it to be like Microsoft windows”, tinycore website gives information which windows managers are available. (I use the base version that only has fwlm).
Now you have a working version you can easily install a different version using the onboard installer. That works like a charm. If it’s currently on harddisk I would not touch that but from there install on a usb and boot from usb. Once you have made multiple usb that can boot you can from that usb install agin on harddisk the version you want (and have multiple usb to go back to as backup)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2024, 02:16:07 AM »
All versions can have the same features, it's just a matter of what is bundled. For keymaps, use kmaps.tcz if using defaults or Xorg configuration if using that. The FAQ has some info.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline NarakuITA

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2024, 02:47:09 PM »
I have a permissions problem, even though I am root, every operation or modification of a file is denied to me, due to lack of permissions. Why?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2024, 05:32:41 PM »
Hi NarakuITA
You don't mention which files you are trying to modify, so I
will attempt to make an educated guess.

You are trying to modify a file provided by an extension you installed.
Extensions are created on a squashfs, which is a read only file system.
The file you are trying to modify is likely a link to the file in the extension
You need to replace that link with a copy of the file from that extension.

This is the general command to accomplish that:
Code: [Select]
sudo busybox cp /Path/To/Link/LinkName /Path/To/Link/
Here is an actual example:
Let's say you want to modify  /usr/local/etc/init.d/nfs-client
Which is provided by  nfs-utils.tcz
You would use this command:
sudo busybox cp /tmp/nfs-utils/usr/local/etc/init.d/nfs-client /usr/local/etc/init.d/
So you are always copying from  /tmp/ExtensionName/ ... / ... / ...

Offline NarakuITA

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2024, 11:16:24 AM »
Thanks for the tip. So I'm having trouble keeping the changes permanently.
I followed this guide: https://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/doku.php?id=wiki:passwd
But when I reboot the password is always reset!
I also downloaded kmaps.tcz and set the command on bootsync.sh:
loadkmap < /usr/share/kmap/qwerty/it.kmapBut when I reboot the keyboard is always in American and the changes to the file are gone.
What important step am I missing?

Offline NarakuITA

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2024, 12:23:37 PM »
Thanks for the tip. So I'm having trouble keeping the changes permanently.
I followed this guide: https://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/doku.php?id=wiki:passwd
But when I reboot the password is always reset!
I also downloaded kmaps.tcz and set the command on bootsync.sh:
loadkmap < /usr/share/kmap/qwerty/it.kmapBut when I reboot the keyboard is always in American and the changes to the file are gone.
What important step am I missing?
Ok, I solved the problem. Keyboard and password set and working.
Question is it normal that on the terminal the characters such as: à, è, ò are not displayed? If I write on the notepad, yes, no problem, but on the terminal a question mark appears in their place.
The only problem I found is the @, if I type the key sequence "Alt Gr+@" it is not written.

Question is it possible to set the operating system language to Italian?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 12:45:28 PM by NarakuITA »