dCore Import Debian Packages to Mountable SCE extensions > dCore X86

HELP - Installation Information

(1/8) > >>

NarakuITA:
Hello everyone, I am writing because I was advised to try this operating system. I have tried others and more or less they have worked, but not completely.
I am trying to revive my old Toshiba satellite pro 4600 with 512mb of ram with Windows 2000.
I am not a Linux expert, and I would need your help to install Tiny Core. I need to be guided, step by step, precisely because of my inexperience, but confident in learning. I have already created an installation CD.
However, unlike other distributions, I can not find the command to start the installation.
The biggest and most difficult step is to install the Belkin Wi-Fi card (Wireless G Netbook Card) Model: f5d7010.
I await help. Thank you very much!

Stefann:
The wiki provides installation instructions.
Without Linux knowledge I think your best approach is to create a bootable cd from windows as all other methods are more complicated.
If you created such cd, you need to insert cd, turn off computer, restart.
It than should “boot from the cd”. (Boot = starts using software from….).
If it still uses the original software you will need to boot into bios and change boot order to give cd priority (Google to find out how).

With that said……
I would highly advice to first read all info on the homepage: welcome, installation, concepts and also the book.
Tinycore is not a clear cut solution, you will need Linux knowledge, you will need to be able to solve problems.

curaga:
Your wifi card appears to be one of the difficult Broadcom ones where you have to use the Windows drivers via ndiswrapper on Linux. That's quite complex for a beginner, perhaps buy a better supported card.

CentralWare:
@NarakuITA: I would recommend looking to purchase an inexpensive USB dongle that's more likely going to take a good deal of stress from the process of resurrecting your laptop.
Here are two examples for a 2.5ghz and 5.0ghz flush dongles which came up on Amazon in the first few results which are reasonably priced and should be compatible with today's newer kernels.

Depending on which x86 CD you created, you MAY or MAY NOT have a grey, round icon near the bottom right of your toolbar called TC-Install. If you do not, I THINK it's included in the CorePlus x86 CD image but I'm not 100% certain without looking manually.  TC-Install is the easiest method to install Tiny Core Linux onto the laptop's hard drive.

Once you have an operational internet connection (Ethernet comes onboard - T100 speed if memory serves) or any kind of wireless connection, you can then use the APPS program to download and install tc-install.  Once installed onto the laptop, you'll then want to search for and install support for PCMCIA, ACPID and if memory serves, you should find a TRIDENT graphics driver in the archives.  If you still have Windows installed on it right now, open the Device Manager and see whose chipset exists for the Ethernet - I think it's Intel but it's been forever since I've physically seen one.  If so, you'll want to also install Intel's E1000/PRO100 networking support if it's not already in the core. During that age, Sound Blaster and a thousand SB clones was audio's way to do things, so I'd speculate SB is already in the core, so you'll want to install ALSA and its mixer if you want sound.  I do remember the touchpad being really flaky, though.

gadget42:
did a quick rough www search via DDG and found:

https://www.roe.ac.uk/~hme/tosh4600/index.html

might be of some help perhaps

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version