WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: do we need ubuntu to mae bootable usb persistence  (Read 234 times)

Offline Bl4ckP4nd4

do we need ubuntu to mae bootable usb persistence
« on: August 07, 2024, 11:04:37 AM »
hi
1- do we need ubuntu or linux distro to make bootable usb to get persistence
or we can make bootable usb with windows?

2- how to get python modul like ex: flask persiste after rebouting?

thanks

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: do we need ubuntu to mae bootable usb persistence
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2024, 12:13:24 PM »
1. It’s preferable to use linux to install tinycore - if you can burn the CorePlus iso to cd/dvd and boot it, you can use tc-install to create a bootable usb stick. I never tried to use windows, but perhaps it can be done.

2. It would be best to create your own extension for the python module, but you could also add it to your backup.

Offline CentralWare

• Retired Admins
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2024, 12:25:41 AM »
hi
1- do we need ubuntu or linux distro to make bootable usb to get persistence
or we can make bootable usb with windows?
2- how to get python modul like ex: flask persiste after rebouting?
thanks

Use two USB devices for the fastest method, in my opinion.  The first, which sounds like you may already have, contains the live "TCE" version that acts similar to a CD.  Use the TCE version and install tc-install-GUI when this boots up to the desktop; then use tc-install to "install" a hard drive-like copy of itself onto the second USB device.  Remove the TCE USB device, reboot and set BIOS to boot from the new one.  You can then erase the TCE version after the second version is up and running the way you like.

To create a bootable "TCE" USB device through Windows, I'd recommend using Rufus to "burn" the ISO file you downloaded from our repository onto the USB device.  Click on the "Downloads" link at the top of this page for download options.  (Scroll down their page until you come to "Latest releases:" as the numerous advertisements can be misleading.)

As for persistence, see the WIKI for different persistence options.
https://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/doku.php?id=wiki:persistence_for_dummies

Mind you, it's possible to convert your TCE install to a "Frugal Hard Drive" install, it's just a lot simpler and faster for a newcomer to TinyCore to do things in the above fashion.  (Again, in my opinion.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 12:27:19 AM by CentralWare »

Offline Stefann

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2024, 01:09:13 AM »
As a recent newcomer that is indeed what I did and what I would recommend.

I got my first tinycore working from my old Linux machine (running an old damn small Linux but that could have been any Linux).
Downloaded the tinycore Linux files from the website.
Manually installed syslinux as bootloader.
The manual syslinux was my biggest bottleneck. You really need to understand it to get it working. I have the feeling that the path via a live cd is simpler and also it feels that there is an install tool from windows that is simpler. But my target machine did not have a cd drive and I own only macs so that did not work.

Anyway… after i got my first tinycore functional from usb as explained above. I created a second usb by simply using the built-in installer. The built-in installer works like a charm. Typing the settings is very simple and it creates a usb in a matter of minutes.
The second usb is much “better” than the first one. The first one “is functional” but the manual process of getting it work form a manual syslinux was far from optimal.

So… after that I was getting familiar with tinycore by using the second usb as my startup medium. I also created a few extra tinycore usb sticks “just in case I would brick the one I was using”. Finally… when completely happy… I installed it on the built in harddrive (a flashdrive). Still in frugal mode! Frugal mode is the key tinycore beauty in my opinion.

Key message: “find a clumsy way to get into the eco system”, “once you are in its easy”.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 01:11:42 AM by Stefann »