WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: I want to install Boinc.  (Read 3453 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: I want to install Boinc.
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2024, 05:17:42 PM »
Hi Richard Cranium
... But what are you really trying to say?? ...
I'm trying to explain to you what it means when you try
to run a program and you get an  illegal instruction
message.

... Because , I didn't think we've established that I'm running the wrong architecture. ...
Getting an  illegal instruction  message has nothing to do with architecture. Trying to run
an executable for the wrong architecture does not produce that message.

Offline CentralWare

• Retired Admins
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2024, 09:29:46 PM »
@Richard: I'm not seeing an illegal instruction, I'm seeing a missing library (a bit of a different monster.)
What this basically means is that one of Bionic's many dependencies is either not being found, not installed, does not have appropriate links (for newer libraries, usually), etc.

Try this for the time being:
Code: [Select]
tce-load -wi libXss.tcz

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2024, 11:49:51 PM »
Hi CentralWare
I don't see an illegal instruction either. I only commented on
it because the OP claimed it occurred.

Offline Richard Cranium

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2024, 01:36:21 AM »
i just got the dmesg error.

webkit2gtk-4.0.so

sorry , i tried several times to post the screenshot , it just wouldn't go through...

Offline Richard Cranium

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2024, 01:37:57 AM »
@Richard: I'm not seeing an illegal instruction, I'm seeing a missing library (a bit of a different monster.)
What this basically means is that one of Bionic's many dependencies is either not being found, not installed, does not have appropriate links (for newer libraries, usually), etc.

tce-load -wi libXss.tcz

i'll try .

Offline Richard Cranium

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2024, 01:43:42 AM »

tce-load -wi libXss.tcz

I run that command and the terminal says it's already installed.

I'm really confused here as to why it won't run.. it's installed...

Offline CentralWare

• Retired Admins
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2024, 02:10:36 AM »
Thank you for your results.

tce-load -i libXssPlease note whether or not it says it's already installed with just -i

If it says "OK" try your app again. If not, please enter the following:
cd /; sudo find -name libXss*.*...and post your results, if any.

The file listing page for the library says the file you're looking for should be located at /usr/local/lib/libXss.so along with two of its siblings, so.1 and so.1.0.0
If you're still having troubles with this specific library, please confirm its existence there.

I'm preparing a test machine for this situation in a few minutes, but I leave in about an hour and will be gone for a couple days out of the area and cannot assume I'll have time for volunteering while I'm gone.  If you're still having troubles with your extension when I return I'll get it installed on the test machine and dig through the situation if one of the staff hasn't already found a solution.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2024, 03:36:55 AM »
libXss was missing from the boinc dep file - added.

Offline CentralWare

• Retired Admins
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2024, 05:35:42 AM »
Trip got delayed until 7am...  things happen for a reason!?

Fresh install of 15.x86
This is my software extension list (onboot.lst)
Xvesa.tcz
aterm.tcz
flwm_topside.tcz
flwm.tcz
wbar.tcz
icewm.tcz
jwm.tcz
fluxbox.tcz
hackedbox.tcz
openbox.tcz
tc-install-GUI.tcz
kmaps.tcz
wifi.tcz
iw.tcz
boinc.tcz

boincmgr opens and runs as expected up to the point of it asking for a project URL, which I do not have, so I cannot test further.
REMOVE boinc from your machine and reinstall it - you should be operational now.

Offline Richard Cranium

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2024, 04:07:23 PM »
alright , I reinstalled Boinc and now i'm getting the "illegal instruction" error again, but only after about 15 -20 seconds goes by and the hard drive is clicking like mad.  so that's different than last time...

I'll post the results of CentralWare suggested , shortly.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2024, 02:08:38 AM »
It would help if you could post the full text of the illegal instruction error.

Offline CentralWare

• Retired Admins
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2024, 09:56:26 AM »
@Richard: Before you continue any further, you should really run a scan on your hard drive to make sure it's healthy.
tce-load -wi smartmontools.tczOnce SMART is installed, do a quick scan of the drive (which I am assuming is /dev/sda, correct the command if I am assuming incorrectly)
sudo smartctl -H /dev/sdaThis is a very generic self-test and takes all of a second to complete.

Offline Richard Cranium

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2024, 05:55:07 PM »
It would help if you could post the full text of the illegal instruction error.

That's literally all it says.

Terminal output.
tc@box:~$ sudo boincmgr
illegal instruction
tc@box:~$

Offline Richard Cranium

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2024, 05:59:04 PM »
@Richard: Before you continue any further, you should really run a scan on your hard drive to make sure it's healthy.
tce-load -wi smartmontools.tczOnce SMART is installed, do a quick scan of the drive (which I am assuming is /dev/sda, correct the command if I am assuming incorrectly)
sudo smartctl -H /dev/sdaThis is a very generic self-test and takes all of a second to complete.

installed and ran ...  test result says "PASSED"

PS...  I do appreciate all the help so far...

Offline CentralWare

• Retired Admins
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2024, 11:49:05 PM »
PS...  I do appreciate all the help so far...
I know...  that's why we're trying to help. :)

Okay, the "knocking" of the hard drive is puzzling, but we'll leave that alone for a moment (but still...  be mentally prepared for a hard drive replacement "just in case" as the main culprits of knocking drives are bad drives or bad power supplies.)

@Juanito: I was looking at the build scripts and noticed what MIGHT be an unintended file naming: 15.x/x86/tcz/gudev-gir.tcz ~~ was this intended to be gudev-lib-gir.tcz?
compile_webkitgtk4 is calling for gudev-lib-dev (not found) which is what led me into this direction; not that it has anything to do with this issue, but software wise it's on the list.

@Richard Cranium: In the meantime, please take a photo of the screen from the command below and post the results here.
cat /proc/cpuinfoWe need the lines processor through flags at the very least.  (Processor line should contain "processor      : 0")
If you need more than one photo to accomplish this
cat /proc/cpuinfo | more...and press the ENTER key to show the next line or SPACE bar to show the next full screen of information.

Specifically, on the flags line, you want to see whether the letters "smt" or "ht" exist.
IF SO, you need to go into BIOS and disable Hyper-Threading (HT/SMT did not exist yet with the Pentium 3 processor generation, but some motherboards which operated with EITHER P3 or P4 Socket 37x processors would have the option to enable HT/SMT with the assumption you had a P4 chip installed. Some laptops, especially ThinkPads of the age, used this "feature" as a potential "upgrade" in their sales pitch in a special line of motherboards which had removable processors...  it was rare anyone actually DID the upgrade, though, considering the amount of work/time it takes to dismantle the machine, switch processors, and put it back together.)