WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi persistence  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
Re: Raspberry Pi persistence
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2024, 07:01:00 PM »
If that’s what you want,  burn the piCore image to the sdcard.   Then create a single ext4 partition on the usb, then copy the second partition das FROM The sd to usb disk, then remove the second partition from the sd card.

Offline Hometheatre

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2024, 12:03:42 AM »
I think you misunderstand what I mean by pi bootloader. I'm referring to a Raspberry pi bootloader binary that's 52K, that is only to get the USB device to boot. That's all that is on the SD card. Without it, there's no USB booting. It's not the piCore bootloader. That's all on the USB.

I did try pulling the SD card with the raspberry pi bootloader out once the multi colour boot screen came up, but still didn't work.

I've gone and set the OTP bit to boot from USB on my pi 3B. With the usual 5 sec waitusb it now works. There's no SD card in the device. Booting without the Raspberry pi bootloader binary on an SD card has less compatibility for USB devices. One of my sticks doesn't work without it. It's now using what's on the system chip, which is old.

Offline Hometheatre

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2024, 12:44:47 AM »
And it's stopped working.

Maybe I'll try the split system you mentioned. Boot partition on the SD card, second partition on the USB. I'm using this as a media server. I guess the SD card won't get touched once the system has booted.

Offline Hometheatre

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2024, 02:52:14 AM »
Tried the split setup. Doesn't work. It boots up, but is a dead system, no tce, just like all the other attempts.

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2024, 07:00:39 AM »
You need the full boot partition from our image, not just the bootloader.

Offline Hometheatre

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2024, 03:15:47 PM »
That's what I did. I took the working SD installation, copied the second partition to the USB, then deleted the second partition from the SD, and have it a usbwait of 10.

Offline Hometheatre

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2024, 03:58:30 PM »
Big dumb mistake by me. I've been putting usbwait not waitusb. Sorry for waste of time.

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2024, 05:39:09 PM »
So you are all good now?  I have a bit of time to test this tonight if needed.

Offline Hometheatre

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2024, 05:47:15 PM »
Yeah, I think I'm good. Did a quick test this morning with the right wording and it's a live system.