WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: vlc3 biuld does not support streaming?  (Read 318 times)

Offline umike

vlc3 biuld does not support streaming?
« on: May 07, 2024, 02:21:23 AM »
Hello.

I'm looking for small linux distro for virtual machines into network lab emulator like GNS3 and eve-ng. I'm want lab with multicast streaming/receiving. Simplest way is VLC or ffmpeg. GNS3 have TC image file Multicast.zip with VLC and it can work as streamer, but it's too old with vlc-1.1.3. Looks like it does not support igmp protocol and cannot work like multicast receiver.

Now I download and install latest TC15, install vlc3 and discovered that this version vlc3.x.x cannot stream multicast. It show error in termial because don't understand udp/ts/... when i run vlc srcfile.mp4 --sout udp://224.1.1.1:1234 or vlc srcfile.mp4 --sout=#std{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=224.1.1.1:1234}
It does not understand mux=ts.

The vlc.tcz do not contain lib/vlc/plugins/mux/libmux_ts_plugin files. Can you rebuild vlc3 extenstion with mpeg/ts mux?

Also in vlc select Files-Stream - add file and push "streem" button causes vlc freezing.

Thanks!

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: vlc3 biuld does not support streaming?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 10:01:00 AM »
I’m not in a hurry to update vlc as it depends on qt, which is very bloated.

Do you know what dependencies are required for libmux_ts to be built?

Offline umike

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 11:05:27 AM »
Sorry, I don't know what dependencies are required for libmux_ts to be built. As far as I can see in the vlc sources in file "modules/MODULES_LIST" present at least
* ts: MPEG-TS demuxer
* mux_ts: MPEG transport stream muxer

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that this is all that is needed. Maybe need all mpeg and ts options to work. You can just try enable ts+mux_ts and do test build. Guess mux/demux is simple and not will entail a lot of “heavy” dependencies like graphic ones. Most likely it's just simple code inside vlc tree without many new big dependences.
As another option you can do vlc3-full extension with all monules enabled, huh :)

Multicast streaming at TC would be interesting, but if it doesn't work out, well... I'll just use a heavier distribution.
Now I’ll try ffmpeg for streaming, but it doesn’t work yet. Studying the manuals and experimenting.

Offline umike

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 08:44:45 AM »
I'm discovered that tc-4.7.7 contains vlc and vlc-full. Full can stream to mpegts container, not full - cannot.
Also i was wrong. I discovered TC-3.2 and vlc-1.1.3 from GNS3 can stream/revieve if I start it from cli (GUI menu "stream/optn network" does not work). Also I can use ffmpeg (even without GUI, but not to recieve/play). However, ffplay as a player behaves much worse than vlc.

Just in case:

vlc sources
\vlc-3.0.8\modules\mux\Modules.am (last compile from 10.x ?) contain
Code: [Select]
if HAVE_DVBPSI
libvlc_LTLIBRARIES += libmux_ts_plugin.la
endif
and
vlc root configure have
Code: [Select]
Mux/Demux plugins:
--enable-dvbpsi         build with dvbpsi support enabled [default=auto]

I think that's what's missing.
libdvbpsi is a simple library designed for decoding and generation of MPEG TS and DVB PSI tables according to standards ISO/IEC 13818 and ITU-T H.222.0.

libdvbpsi.tcz have size 45056 bytes and have not dependences.

You can try to rebuild an existing vlc-3.0.8 with the option --enable-dvbpsi (also we need --enable-sout for streaming, but it already in default build as i understand). And vlc3 tce-load will need libdvbpsi.tcz of cause.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 08:49:14 AM by umike »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 04:55:58 AM »
vlc3 updated, built against libdvbpsi and renamed vlc in the tc-15.x x86 repo.

Maybe you could test the streaming?

Offline umike

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2024, 09:32:21 AM »
vlc <file> --sout=udp://224.1.1.1:1234 show errors about cannot stream to udp/ts/224.1.1.1

Agter installing libdvbpsi extension same command started to work without errors.

For testing I run vlc udp://@224.1.1.1:1234 (@ is mandatory), it recieved multicast stream locally and play. Also I run another PC in same network and got multicast stream.
Also after installing "TS libdvbpsi" appears in vlc settings - output - muxers (see attachments) in general, if run from command line, everything works as it should.

Thanks a lot!