Tiny Core Base > CorePlus

[Solved] Choosing Window Manager from Boot Menu

(1/5) > >>

Montserrat:
Hi all,

I am so pleased to see this new release, and HUGE thanks to the developers for all their hard work.

I am a noob, so apologies if I use the wrong terms etc. until I get a little more edjumacated. Anyway, the problem I am having is choosing a window manager from the initial boot menu of v15.

I've tried re-downloading the ISO, checking the sums etc. but still can't get all the window managers to load (mind you, I prefer Tom's Window Manager that I can install from the 'Apps' downloader but that's another story ...). The ones that I can get to work are FLWM Topside, Fluxbox, Hackedbox and FLWM Classic.

Sadly, I can't get Joe's Window Manager, ICE, or Openbox to load.

What I mean is, when TCL boots, I choose the WM I want, then those that don't load just give me the 'X' cursor I would expect from X with no window manager, and no window decorations etc.

Does anyone else have a similar issue, and what am I doing wrong?

I've tried dumping 'dmsg' to see whether there are any clues in there, but nothing jumps out at me. I've tried to capture the output of 'startx' to a text file also but to no avail. I've also searched the forums to see whether this has been previously reported but couldn't find anything.

All help, suggestions, flames for being so daft are appreciated.

Montserrat.

Rich:
Hi Montserrat
Welcome to the forum.

Which CD are you using? x86 (32 bit) or x86_64 (64 bit)?

Montserrat:
Hi Rich,

Thank you for the welcome. I'm looking forward to being around a while...

Anyway, I am using the x86_64 of CorePlus burnt to a USB (sorry, should have stated that in my original post).

Rich:
Hi Montserrat
CorePlus is 32 bit, and that makes sense since that's the only one
that includes all of those window managers.

I burnt a CD was able to reproduce the problem. Likely some extension
is missing. I'll see what I can find.

Rich:
Hi Montserrat
Here's is what I found missing:
jwm, openbox, and gdk-pixbuf2 need libEGL.tcz and libGLESv2.tcz.

icewm needs libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so which used to be provided by gdk-pixbuf2.tcz.

I'll wait for Juanito to weigh in on this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version