WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TinyCore on IBM Thinkpad  (Read 482 times)

Offline t4d

TinyCore on IBM Thinkpad
« on: March 26, 2024, 08:20:14 PM »
Noobie here...........first post. Trying to become more comfortable using Linux, but still at a rudimentary level of understanding.

I have downloaded the iso for TinyCore (23 MB) onto a USB stick, and am able to boot into Tiny Core successfully. I am booting into an IBM Thinkpad (circa 2005 or 2006) with a 1.3 GHz Pentium CPU and 256 GB RAM. The system appears to work pretty well and fairly fast.

Out of respect for the original configuration of the Thinkpad, my intention is to retain the original Windows XP system, which still works reasonably well. Therefore, I will want to use the USB stick to run Tiny Core. But I do not want to have to start fresh every time I boot into Tiny Core.

1) After reading info on the website, it seems that it is possible to set up Tiny Core so that I can install programs of my own choosing, and also set up my preferences, and have everything saved to the USB stick. Do I have that right?

2) Also, I don't care for the keyboard or mouse or the display on the Thinkpad, so it is important for me to be able to install an RDP server on Tiny Core so that I can operate it from a remote Windows 11 computer (client). Is that possible?

I am pretty new to Linux, but have some experience with the command line, and some of the Linux commands, and hopefully can follow instructions and guidance.

Guess I need some step-by-step instructions to accomplish items 1 & 2, above. All advice and suggestions are very welcome. Thank you for your consideration.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: TinyCore on IBM Thinkpad
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 08:58:11 PM »
Hi t4d
Welcome to the forum.

1) After reading info on the website, it seems that it is possible to set up Tiny Core ...
Click the  Apps  icon to load  tc-install-GUI.tcz.
A tc-install icon should appear at the bottom of the screen.
Use the tc-install program to install Tinycore to a second USB stick.
This may be of some help:
http://tinycorelinux.net/install.html

2) Also, I don't care for the keyboard or mouse or the display on the Thinkpad, ...
I don't care for how those devices are implemented on laptops myself.
I tend to use a couple of desktop machines for that reason. The only
reason I use the laptop I have is because it's faster and has more RAM
than my other 2 machines. I connect a USB mouse and keyboard for
input. I keep the lid closed and connect an external monitor for output.
Much simpler than RDP.

Online patrikg

• Wiki Author
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 11:14:37 PM »
Long time ago (2016) I write down how you can do this only using one usb thumb drive.
But I think it can be done even today, but i think it's little to be complicated for a new user.

But like @Rich says it can also be done with two usb thumb drives.

Here's the link to my thread talking about how to install TC from same usb thumb drive as you boot.

https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,20135.msg125292.html#msg125292

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 12:39:04 AM »
I don't think there's any RDP server in the repo, so you'd have to compile one. Or use SSH or VNC.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.