WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: YouTube video playback  (Read 636 times)

Offline lakesnative

YouTube video playback
« on: March 05, 2024, 03:31:11 PM »
hello Tiny Core users!

One of the things that has most impressed me using Tiny Core, has been the quality of the video playback when I watch YouTube vids.  I posted elsewhere on the forum that I am a long time Seamonkey browser person.
Had a few issues in my experimentation with getting the sound and browser..., but it's definitely getting more stable as I go along.  Right from my first boot (even though I didn't have sound) the video playback was great. So,  kudos to whoever is responsible for that!

- Lakesnative -

Offline Dies Irae

Re: YouTube video playback
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 01:01:38 AM »
What are you using for playback if I may ask?
While not yet youtube, I've been having pretty good results (on p4 mobile 2.2Ghz) with the VLC2 (the flavour with streaming support) and archive.org (hint).

Audio generally is supposed to work, if you first load 'alsa-config' and then 'alsa'. If all goes well, likely you'll hear a 'plop' (which is almost music to my ears, at least the first time it worked) half-way through installing 'alsa'.  For me, so far, this even works when I'm already booted into the gui desktop.
These 2 should also include the TUI (graphical terminal program) 'alsamixer'. The documentation states alsa starts muted and you must first un-mute relevant channels (using alsamixer), but so far that seems false (not a biggy, sound doesn't start maxed out).

The thing that caught me off-guard for a long time, is that some laptops set the hdmi digital audio as primary channel instead of the expected analog ac'97 like channel.. Alsamixer can change channel ! But if you don't know this... you won't be having sound (over the speakers/headphone etc.).

While on the subject of impressive graphics, if you need VNC (remote desktop), then TinyCore's TigerVNC 1.1.0 (called as 'vncviewer' after installation), is absolutely jawdroppingly amazingly insanely and actually unbelievably fast and smooth. I have NEVER seen such a fast/smooth and really GOOD quallity vnc, and I have used a bunch on various platforms over the past quarter century.  I kid you not, I can watch youtube fullscreen (1024x768) on remote machine and I wouldn't notice *at all* I'm watching over VNC...  It's also not caching magic; menus etc or even games are just as smooth and instant as if i was on my local machine.
I'm *deeply* impressed (and thankful  :-* ) for that one! Whatever the magic is.. it is truly amazing. (It may be related to the server also using (a much newer) TigerVNC, but still, this is absolutely unbelievable).

Offline lakesnative

Re: YouTube video playback
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 09:16:18 AM »
hi Dies Irae

sorry for the delay in responding
I created a screenshot to show you my system  (I am using the video driver that Tiny Core installs by default, nothing extra).

The tiger program sounds interesting as does you mentioning streaming from archive.org.

Have a good Friday
(hoping my attachment loads this time,  if it doesn't the whole message goes away!).

- Lakesnative -