WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TinyCore does not boot after installation  (Read 7475 times)

Offline jazzbiker

Re: TinyCore does not boot after installation
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2024, 12:32:17 AM »
@CNK, @GNUser, thanks for Your opinions! Adding @Rich opinion on eMMC I may try to summarize that:
1. Even without swap (with zswap only) 2G of RAM is enough to perform everyday not-heavy tasks.
2. eMMC is capable to be the swap media.
3. In-memory zswap aided by the filesystem swap will allow to avoid OOM events even for memory-hungry applications.

The good news are I don't see strict NOs. So any option (without swap, with swap) is acceptable and usable.

Offline polikuo

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2024, 01:57:57 AM »
Hi all
It looks like I'm a bit late to the party.

@Rich, what's Your opinion, is eMMC suited to handle the swap partition? We are going to inflate the filesystem and if eMMC is able to survive swap we need to create swap first.

IMO, setting up a swap partition on eMMC is still a bad idea.
A FLASH is a FLASH, even if it's a bit MORE durable than a SD card.
I'd rather get an old 8G USB2 pendrive and treat the whole as swap.
When it wears out, you get another, the old one goes to the bin.

Performance-wise speaking
2G is OK for an experienced linux user, but for a newbie, I'd say 4G is safer.
On raspberry pi 4G, I can handle daily web browsing just fine.
If I'm compiling stuff, I plug in my 8G USB swap stick and give it a little patience.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 02:07:28 AM by polikuo »

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2024, 03:45:28 AM »
Hi polikuo!
Hi all
It looks like I'm a bit late to the party.

@Rich, what's Your opinion, is eMMC suited to handle the swap partition? We are going to inflate the filesystem and if eMMC is able to survive swap we need to create swap first.

IMO, setting up a swap partition on eMMC is still a bad idea.
A FLASH is a FLASH, even if it's a bit MORE durable than a SD card.
I'd rather get an old 8G USB2 pendrive and treat the whole as swap.
When it wears out, you get another, the old one goes to the bin.

Performance-wise speaking
2G is OK for an experienced linux user, but for a newbie, I'd say 4G is safer.
On raspberry pi 4G, I can handle daily web browsing just fine.
If I'm compiling stuff, I plug in my 8G USB swap stick and give it a little patience.

Better late than never! Especially if You join the party with such great ideas!
External  disposable swap - it made my year! I think it is extraordinary fresh and fascinating!

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2024, 07:01:51 AM »
@newbieCore: I'm glad to hear you've made it into the MMC (turning off CSM) - three entire pages of forum comments since my last visit :)

@newbieCore, You may try writing an image from http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,26658.0.html this thread to /dev/mmcblk0 with the help of dd utility:
sudo dd if=InstantCore.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4M
It contains ready to use dual boot BIOS/UEFI filesystems with CorePlus14 and TinyCorePure64. If the case is UEFI, it may help. Just to try with low expectations.

@jazzbiker: Please refrain from up-selling third party custom releases of Tiny Core Linux on the Tiny Core Linux forum (such as your "Instant Core" as you've named it); this forum is focused on the content found strictly within repo.tinycorelinux.net; when you create your own custom "version" of TinyCore and make changes to how our packages install and/or operate, it makes it difficult, if not impossible for us to "support" end users as this now falls on your lap - and preferably your website and domain.  Please understand, also, that we have no way to babysit every package that has ever been created by users; thus we have no way to ascertain whether or not "Instant Core" is properly functional, or whether it's infested with errors, virus' or trojans, etc.  (Not saying you would -- but we have no way to prove that to users like @newbieCore and we cannot be held liable for malicious damages.)

@Rich, @curaga, @Paul_123: Need your $0.02 here.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline newbieCore

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2024, 07:20:56 AM »
@newbieCore

So let's create the swap partition on Your eMMC drive. Are You online through the smartphone? We will need to boot to "base+resize".
So I understand that swap is not such a good idea?
What next?

Offline newbieCore

« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2024, 07:22:27 AM »
@newbieCore: I'm glad to hear you've made it into the MMC (turning off CSM) - three entire pages of forum comments since my last visit :)

@newbieCore, You may try writing an image from http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,26658.0.html this thread to /dev/mmcblk0 with the help of dd utility:
sudo dd if=InstantCore.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4M
It contains ready to use dual boot BIOS/UEFI filesystems with CorePlus14 and TinyCorePure64. If the case is UEFI, it may help. Just to try with low expectations.

@jazzbiker: Please refrain from up-selling third party custom releases of Tiny Core Linux on the Tiny Core Linux forum (such as your "Instant Core" as you've named it); this forum is focused on the content found strictly within repo.tinycorelinux.net; when you create your own custom "version" of TinyCore and make changes to how our packages install and/or operate, it makes it difficult, if not impossible for us to "support" end users as this now falls on your lap - and preferably your website and domain.  Please understand, also, that we have no way to babysit every package that has ever been created by users; thus we have no way to ascertain whether or not "Instant Core" is properly functional, or whether it's infested with errors, virus' or trojans, etc.  (Not saying you would -- but we have no way to prove that to users like @newbieCore and we cannot be held liable for malicious damages.)

@Rich, @curaga, @Paul_123: Need your $0.02 here.

I understand the risk in that.
Thank you for the clarification.

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2024, 09:39:22 AM »
I see that communicating with @newbieCore I am violating something I don' t understand.

@CentralWare, is it allowed for us with @newbieCore to exchange with personal contacts?

Offline newbieCore

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2024, 10:06:28 AM »
I see that communicating with @newbieCore I am violating something I don' t understand.

@CentralWare, is it allowed for us with @newbieCore to exchange with personal contacts?
Well I see this
1. Load into "base+resize". You will see clear command line prompt.
2. Run "inflate.sh" script.
3. Reboot and continue with the full drive capacity accessible.

Do you recommend doing this or the swap or zswap or something else first?

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2024, 12:37:47 PM »
Hi newbieCore!

I think we are not allowed to continue in this thread, because we are discussing so dangerous things, that @CentralWare requested all developers intervention.

If we will be allowed by @CentralWare we may continue using another resources, preferably email. In case we will be allowed to share our contacts.

@CentralWare, can You please give an answer? Are we with @newbieCore allowed to select another way to discuss the problem? Just one word - yes or no.

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2024, 01:11:39 PM »
Hi jazzbiker
You can PM.
You can email.

If you are discussing things which are Tinycore related, such as:
boot codes, onboot.lst, bootlocal.sh, persistence, extensions, etc.
that are not unique to your remaster, I see no reason those can't
continue here.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2024, 06:22:53 AM »
@jazzbiker, @newbieCore: YES, by all means! (sorry, more than one word!)

NO, communication isn't a problem in the least.

Actively promoting a remaster ON the forum as a replacement for the Tiny Core Linux project can become a problem, which I hope you understand why.

Let's say the next X number of people to stop by find your link and install your remaster instead of the real Core project...  and let's imply there are problems...  who do you think THEY will expect support from?
You?  Or the development and maintenance team from Tiny Core Linux which is what's at the top of the website they're looking at?
"I'm sorry, sir...  the release you installed is not supported..."  "...What do you mean it's not supported, I got it FROM you people - see, it's right here on your forum!!"
It doesn't end well.

Suggestion 1: If you feel strongly that your remaster is superior in any way, put together a website (there's plenty of free hosting services out there, so it doesn't even cost you anything) and describe your remaster accordingly; leave note on the site indicating it's not a TCL release, but instead an "awesome custom remaster" (how ever you want it worded) but that it's not affiliated with the Tiny Core Linux project AND offer your own contact information for if/when someone runs into trouble.  Avoid creating links to this forum - it's an SEO nightmare.  Instead, you're welcome to create links such as "...for more information on the Tiny Core Linux project, click here" -- that sort of direction, as long as you're not pretending to BE Tiny Core Linux or otherwise directly associated.

Return here to the initial thread you created regarding its release and update that thread with your website's URL.  In doing so, you cover the necessary bases and you've made it perfectly clear to someone downloading it that this is your project (a PORT of Tiny Core, so to speak.)  As long as the remaster still maintains the forum requirements (ie: spamming, marketing, abuse, piracy - all those types of issues) I don't mind in the least that you try to help people out using it -- as long as they are aware that it's your remaster... up front.

LEGALLY speaking, website and other similar trade-marked or identification based graphics should not be reused on third party websites without expressed, written permission... blah...  blah...  you'll want to come up with a fresh new look for "Instant Core" anyway.

Suggestion 2: If you really want to maintain a port of this project, here's a recommendation that works in your favor by limiting the amount of work that has to go into it:
  • Download and extract the full TinyCore package that suits what you're building from
  • Take all the files you've altered/created/etc. and create instant.gz (CPIO)
  • Update extlinux.conf: APPEND: /boot/core.gz,/boot/instant.gz
  • Repackage and upload to Google Drive

If you do things in this fashion, people can separate your work from TCL, verify core.gz is in fact untouched and if they wanted to check to ensure your efforts were clean and genuine, a look inside instant.gz makes it easy to do (without having to scan/scour a modified core.gz or root/modules.gz)  Also, when there's a new release (15.x for example) your "upgrade" is tremendously simple by merely updating extlinux.conf's APPEND line and repackaging.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2024, 06:54:34 AM »
Hi CentralWare
,,, Repackage and upload to Google Drive ...
His remaster is already on Google Drive.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2024, 09:14:17 AM »
... Repackage and upload to Google Drive ...
His remaster is already on Google Drive.
Correct; thus why it was mentioned specifically - he noted it in his initial thread.
My list was basically 1) Download/extract, 2) Attach instant.gz (his content), 3) Repackage .iso, .img, etc. and 4) Re-upload to GDrive -- which he'd be able to relate to.