Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Bugs

emelfm2 segfaults on "back" button

<< < (2/4) > >>

Leee:

--- Quote from: CentralWare on February 05, 2024, 05:33:46 AM ---Did you try FM3 by chance?

--- End quote ---
emelfm3 appears to have issues of its own:
* the "back", "forward" and "up" buttons (and some others) don't appear at all.  They're there, but their buttons are completely blank.  If I change the icon option to "icon above label" instead of "icon only", it segfaults when I apply the change.

* the "back" button's drop-down menu appears when I hover over the button but disappears when I move the cursor down onto the drop-down menu.  That is to say the drop-down menu disappears, whereas in emelfm2 the entire application widow disappears)

CentralWare:
Good evening, @Leee!
I just loaded FM2 on a reasonably basic 2019 machine with very few desktop "anything" extensions installed...

1. It loads fine, navigates fine, etc.
2. It's graphic/refresh intensive using the typical vga/frame-buffer layout
3. Do you know of a TinyCore version you used on the same computer hardware which worked as expected?
This is where I also have to ask for a hardware profile (CPU, RAM, HDD Space, GPU, etc.)

UPDATE:

* I was able to get it to crash once so far (mouse-over back button, move onto menu, leave menu to the left, return to menu while it's still open, it goes to highlight; looks like it lost the index of "last highlighted" since we left the drop-down and tries to un-highlight (I'm speculating) NULL) - please respond to #3 above IF you have an answer as it may save me a bit of hunting.

Rich:
Hi Leee
I just installed a GUI based file manager a few days ago on
one of my machines (TC14 x86_64). I went with xfe and so
far I'm happy with it. You can switch between 1 or 2 panels,
both with or without a tree view while it's running.

Including dependencies it's 9.4Meg vs 14Meg for emelfm2.

Leee:

--- Quote from: CentralWare on February 05, 2024, 06:07:32 PM ---Good evening, @Leee!
I just loaded FM2 on a reasonably basic 2019 machine with very few desktop "anything" extensions installed...

1. It loads fine, navigates fine, etc.
2. It's graphic/refresh intensive using the typical vga/frame-buffer layout
3. Do you know of a TinyCore version you used on the same computer hardware which worked as expected?
This is where I also have to ask for a hardware profile (CPU, RAM, HDD Space, GPU, etc.)

UPDATE:

* I was able to get it to crash once so far (mouse-over back button, move onto menu, leave menu to the left, return to menu while it's still open, it goes to highlight; looks like it lost the index of "last highlighted" since we left the drop-down and tries to un-highlight (I'm speculating) NULL) - please respond to #3 above IF you have an answer as it may save me a bit of hunting.
--- End quote ---
It crashes for me -almost- immediately when I leave the menu to the left, right or bottom of the menu.  At first I thought it wouldn't crash if I went out the top, back onto the "back" button, but with that tiny gap between the menu and the button it will still crash if I'm slow about it.

As for other hardware - I only have one system available right now that isn't a laptop.  That's a 2012-ish vintage Dell Optiplex 790 (Core i5-2400 @3.1 Mhz, 16 GB RAM) running Core 12.0 and the emelfm2 issue occurs there.  I think the previous systems on which I used emelfm2 extensively were all running 32 bit versions of Core.  I've checked for this bug using several different laptops (all running the 64 bit OS) and the problem seems to be consistent.

I'll fool around with it a bit tonight using 32 versions - I can fit the whole mess on the same USB stick as the 64 bit versions and report what I find.  It's not like I'm going to revert back to 32 bits, but my curiosity is all revved up now.  :)

... ( few minutes later) ... It turns out I -do- have an instance of Core 14.0 / x86 running.  It's a thin client so might be more like a laptop than a desktop, hardware-wise.  It's headless but, thanks to the magic of X (the Xwindows one, not the twitter one!) I was able to determine that the 32 bit version of emelfm2 -wants- to have a similar bug but is too chicken to actually do itself in:

* start emelfm2 from a terminal session
* navigate on of the panes to a directory other than the startup directory
* mouse over the back button and the drop-down menu appears
* pretty much anywhere you move the mouse causes instances of the following message to fill up and scroll the terminal window:
--- Code: ---(emelfm2:23771): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 23:45:52.638: IA__gtk_menu_shell_select_item: assertion 'GTK_IS_MENU_ITEM (menu_item)' failed

(emelfm2:23771): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 23:45:52.688: IA__gtk_menu_shell_select_item: assertion 'GTK_IS_MENU_ITEM (menu_item)' failed

(emelfm2:23771): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 23:45:52.709: IA__gtk_menu_shell_select_item: assertion 'GTK_IS_MENU_ITEM (menu_item)' failed

--- End code ---

* emelfm2 does not segfault and nothing is logged in dmesg
* using the buttons actually works.

Leee:

--- Quote from: Rich on February 05, 2024, 10:16:24 PM ---Hi Leee
I just installed a GUI based file manager a few days ago on
one of my machines (TC14 x86_64). I went with xfe and so
far I'm happy with it. You can switch between 1 or 2 panels,
both with or without a tree view while it's running.

Including dependencies it's 9.4Meg vs 14Meg for emelfm2.

--- End quote ---
Thanks Rich,

I did my "due diligence" a few years ago and tried out all the available file managers and I settled on emelfm2 (this was back in my 32-but days) because it allowed me to add a button to run any command, script or application on the highlighted files.  I also had been using emelfm2 without any customizations for a longish time (probably from back in the DSL days).

This evening, I checked out xfe and it will let me add scripts to the scripts menu, but it doesn't look like there's any way to add a button to run a script.

I also checked out spacefm again as I remembered I had found it interesting before.  It has the functionality to add a custom button... but it doesn't actually work when you do so.

It looks like there are enough file managers in the 14.x/x86_64 repo to keep me busy for a few days just to try them all out.  In the mean time, I'll keep using emelfm2 with the back button removed from the toolbar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version