WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [Solved] Change keyboard layout in boot terminal.  (Read 1253 times)

Offline meo

[Solved] Change keyboard layout in boot terminal.
« on: September 10, 2023, 04:43:49 AM »
Hi guys!

As usual I could use some help. Sometimes I'd want to log out to prompt and use my RPi without a window manager (headless?). So I would like to know how to change the keyboard layout in the boot terminal to Swedish. I'm thinking of compiling some programs without a window manager taking up resources. Any hint how that could be done would be greatly appreciated.

// meo (the curious guy)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 08:34:16 AM by Rich »
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Change keyboard layout in boot terminal.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 05:04:33 AM »
Hi meo
Try this:
Install  kmaps.tcz  onboot.
Add:
Code: [Select]
loadkmap < /usr/share/kmap/qwerty/sv-latin1.kmapto  /opt/bootsync.sh  before the line that calls  /opt/bootlocal.sh.
Reboot.

Offline meo

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 05:16:03 AM »
Hi Rich!

Works perfect! You're the man Rich! Thanks a lot!

// meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 06:46:22 AM »
Hi meo
You are quite welcome. Glad I could help.  :)

Offline patrikg

• Wiki Author
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 01:26:47 AM »
Or you can do it like i think the way tc maker was thinking it should work.
And if you search in this forum you should see that you have asked this question before. in (2015) :) (https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,17891.msg107933.html#msg107933)

First add extension kmaps.tcz and edit the file cmdline.txt like this.
First we need to mount the boot partision with this.
And the we edit the file, and add the text kmap=qwerty/sv-latin1

Code: [Select]
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1
cd /mnt/mmcblk0p1/

sudo nano -w cmdline.txt

Offline meo

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 10:35:37 AM »
Hi patrikg!

Well as some say: "there are many ways to skin a cat" (Never done it though). It seems to be the same way changing the keyboard layout in the boot terminal (or boot shelll?). So then it's just a matter of preference really. Since it worked well with the suggestion from Rich and I find it to be easy and straightforward, I will let it be as it is now. There is also a saying: "never change a winning team" or in this case why change something that works? When it comes to the matter of me asking for help with the same problem in 2015 it has a very simple reason I am very absentminded (has been since I was a kid) and around 2015 or 2016 I got the Parkinson's disease and that hasn't made things better. So I forget things all the time and to be honest I never got the keyboard layout to change to Swedish at that time. Now I'm very happy with this installation of piCore (the 32 bit one) since it works the way I want it to and it is pretty fast also. I have you and a lot of other members in this forum to thank for that. I really appreciate the help that I have received by the members of this forum. So Thanks a lot y'all!

// meo

Offline patrikg

• Wiki Author
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 12:06:32 AM »
Sorry that you have Parkinson's disease, and that you forget things.

Just to complete this thread I will just add the wiki page link so another forum members can find this info as well. Don't know why this wiki link is external from the original one. Oooh I see, the link goes to the FAQ.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/faq.html#keyboard
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 12:12:55 AM by patrikg »

Offline meo

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2023, 05:44:37 AM »
Hi again!

Seems that this matter is solved. @Rich would you be so kind to mark this issue as resolved?

// meo

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: [Solved] Change keyboard layout in boot terminal.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2023, 08:35:10 AM »
Hi meo
... would you be so kind to mark this issue as resolved?
Done.  :)