WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How do I install Xorg-3d?  (Read 1286 times)

Offline meo

How do I install Xorg-3d?
« on: September 03, 2023, 11:45:39 AM »
Hi guys! I've tried every way possible to install Xorg-3d to use my Raspberry Pi 4 B 8 GB to the full but sadly it haven't worked. I've installed piCore more than half a dozen times today. Need some help. Any hint is warmly welcome. Thanks beforehand! //meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

aus9

Re: How do I install Xorg-3d?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 05:20:35 AM »
Hi Meo

I am sure you know this but you seem to be asking for piCore help while you have a 8G RPi and I would urge you, especially as one of your posts suggests you tend to compile software....stay with piCore64 14.x and UNTIL YOU GET a better reply.....here are my configs and setups.

puzzle 1...I had spinnig glxgears with Xorg not Xorg-3d....but I have changed my onboot.lst so that it reads
libXcursor.tcz
numlockx.tcz
graphics-KERNEL.tcz
xrandr.tcz
Xorg-3d.tcz
jwm.tcz
dejavu-fonts-ttf.tcz
lxterminal.tcz
leafpad.tcz
pcmanfm.tcz
mc.tcz
alsa.tcz
alsa-utils.tcz
chromium-browser.tcz

I have NO graphic configs in /opt that affects me.

I have a simple $HOME/.xsession but I increased the sleep command for you to try and maximise the chance you succeed.  I spent more than 3 seconds typing this so no loss of time for me.

sleep 9
Xorg -nolisten tcp &
export XPID=$!
waitforX || ! echo failed in waitforX || exit
"$DESKTOP" 2>/tmp/wm_errors &
export WM_PID=$!
[ -x $HOME/.setbackground ] && $HOME/.setbackground
[ -x $HOME/.mouse_config ] && $HOME/.mouse_config &
[ $(which "$ICONS".sh) ] && ${ICONS}.sh &
[ -d "/usr/local/etc/X.d" ] && find "/usr/local/etc/X.d" -type f -o -type l | sort | while read F; do . "$F"; done
[ -d "$HOME/.X.d" ] && find "$HOME/.X.d" -type f -o -type l | sort | while read F; do . "$F"; done

Unlike my TC x86/x86_64 setups.....my RPi has home persistence.  Such that home/tc is named in /opt/.filetool.lst

OK lets look  at /mnt/mmcblk0p1
I have no graphics config in cmdline.txt
but config.txt has the following snippets
[PI4]
initramfs rootfs-piCore64-14.0.gz,modules-6.1.25-piCore-v8.gz followkernel
kernel kernel6125v8.img
arm_64bit=1

[pi4]
# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d-pi4
# max_framebuffers=2
max_framebuffers=1
# Run as fast as firmware / board allows
arm_boost=1

[all]
#dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d

I have one hdmi cable to one monitor....I know you may have some other settings for you TV

aus9

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 05:25:05 AM »
Now lets check if I have 3d? You may need to download these if you do not have them

Code: [Select]
tce-load -i glxinfo inxi

tc@box:~$ glxinfo | grep Acc
    Accelerated: yes

tc@box:~$ inxi -Gxxx
Graphics:
  Device-1: bcm2711-hdmi0 driver: vc4_hdmi v: N/A bus-ID: N/A
    chip-ID: brcm:fef00700 class-ID: hdmi
  Device-2: bcm2711-hdmi1 driver: vc4_hdmi v: N/A bus-ID: N/A
    chip-ID: brcm:fef05700 class-ID: hdmi
  Device-3: bcm2711-vc5 driver: vc4_drm v: N/A bus-ID: N/A chip-ID: brcm:gpu
    class-ID: gpu
  Display: server: X.org driver: X: loaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev
    dri: vc4
    gpu: vc4-drm,vc4_crtc,vc4_dpi,vc4_dsi,vc4_firmware_kms,vc4_hdmi,vc4_hvs,vc4_txp,vc4_v3d,vc4_vec
    display-ID: :0.0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1080 s-size: <missing: xdpyinfo>
  Monitor-1: HDMI-A-1 mapped: HDMI-1 model: Lenovo LEN L22e-20
    serial: 827215436 res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 102
    size: 476x268mm (18.74x10.55") diag: 546mm (21.5") modes: max: 1920x1080
    min: 720x400
  API: OpenGL v: 2.1 Mesa 22.3.7 renderer: V3D 4.2 direct-render: Yes

glxgears # spinning gears appears

Juanito has said glxinfo looking for Accelearation is one the main tests
inxi shows direct reader

and naturally you will have no glxgears spinning if no accel.

Good luck

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 06:28:58 AM »
Hi aus9
... Unlike my TC x86/x86_64 setups.....my RPi has home persistence.  Such that home/tc is named in /opt/.filetool.lst ...
A persistent  /home  would be on a hard drive, thumb drive, SD card, etc. If you
have a persistent  /home  it should not be listed in  /opt/.filetool.lst.  Otherwise
it will needlessly be backed up. Or worse yet, you shut down without a backup
and an old copy of your  /home  directory gets restored upon power up.

Offline meo

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 07:07:47 AM »
Hi aus9!

Well I've compiled a lot of software in my day especially when using Gentoo Linux for obvious reasons. I even made a HOWTO compile the kernel for Gentoo Linux. I found my original hand written instructions a while ago. I was there when TC was forked from D*mn Small Linux and I remember the fallout which led up to Robert Shingledecker leaving. Very sad. So I was there from the beginning of TC and even before even though I mainly made remastering work using DSL since everything  was saved and installed with compact disks. Loved those rectangular cds used for DSL. I have been away from TC for a long time (I'm what they call a "distro junkie") and that has made me forget a lot of the basic consepts and configurations of TC. It's really another "ball plane" now since there has been a lot of changes and progress in the world of TC. I'm an absintminded man of, when it comes to computer technology, considerable age. I suffer from several medical conditions that are of the chronic kind and that isn't any help either. So this is a way for me to exercise my brain which make me feel a little better. Yesterday I spent all day trying to make piCore64 work with Xorg-3d without success. That made me go back to piCore 32 bit where I've (with a lot ot help from you and the rest of the guys in this forum) finally made almost everything work the way I want. So thanks for all your help aus9!

// meo
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 07:29:02 AM by meo »
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

aus9

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 07:42:31 AM »
Rich

good catch....yes my bad. I meant my home is backed up not persistent

aus9

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 07:12:00 PM »
Meo

I am not the fountain of knowledge as shown up by Rich. But I can not help you.....unless you are prepared to share your files and configs. Maybe there is something you are doing OR NOT doing.

You need to tell us...things you have changed that you think might be relevant....eg bootcodes, scripts being run from system files or home dir...whatever.

I will steal are saying from one of members......Sharing is caring.

Offline meo

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 09:50:12 AM »
Hi aus9!

I don’t say anything about configuration files or scripts when I ask for some help because there is nothing to say. When I try to make some huge change to piCore64 or whatever I always start with a pristine installation, unaltered so to speak, to give the change I want to make the best chance of pan out correctly. The only thing I change is the keyboard layout, in X and the boot terminal nothing else. I don't think that would affect the installation of, or change to, Xorg-3d. So I don't have anything to mention since I'm working with a pristine environment. So if anything goes wrong I know what I did that caused the failure. Thanks for your willingness to help me out! I really appreciate that. Right now I have another project going (making a virtual pentest lab with Kali linux and the RPi 4 B with 8 GB. I just stumbled over  some information on how that might be possible. I had a virtual environment with Kali Linux on my laptop but that prevented me to install certain programs. With the Rpi you just have to change the micro sd card and then you can have several different installations. I have six right now. Not so easy with a laptop.) so I will be using the 32 bit piCore for now when I'm using TC since it works very well and comply to my expectations when it comes to configuration and speed. Thanks again for your willingness to help me out!

// meo

Offline polikuo

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2023, 06:12:40 PM »
Hi, meo.

I figure this may be related since graphics-KERNEL is a dep of Xorg-3d.

PiCore graphics

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 12:37:39 AM »
On an RPi4 the minimum requirements for Xorg-3d are:

config.txt:
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d-pi4
reboot and then:
tce-load -i Xorg-3d flwm aterm wbar