WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [Solved] xscreensaver/glx problems since recent Xorg-7.7-3d.tcz upgrade  (Read 6910 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: xscreensaver/glx problems since recent Xorg-7.7-3d.tcz upgrade
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2020, 06:01:51 AM »
Strangely, zstd.tcz is loaded, /usr/local/lib/dri/i965_dri.so exists, and /usr/local/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so also exists.

If zstd is loaded, then libzstd should be loaded and you wouldn't get the error - 3d acceleration will not work without it. I'd guess that you have an error in a dep file or a missing dep file somewhere.

Offline GNUser

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2020, 06:19:04 AM »
Rich: All extensions in my tce/optional/ directory have an associated .md5.txt file except mylocale.tcz.

juanito: Yes, that was the problem. The zstd.tcz is up-to-date but zstd.tcz.dep does not exist for some reason, so libzstd.tcz and liblz4.tcz were not loaded. I'm not sure why the .dep file is missing from my system. I certainly did not delete it.

I grabbed zstd.tcz.dep from the repository, then fetched missing dependencies. Both libzstd.tcz and liblz4.tcz trickled in. After a reboot, all problems resolved.

Thread may be marked as Solved.

P.S. What's the most plausible explanation for the missing .dep file? I'm quite surprised by this.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 06:20:54 AM by GNUser »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2020, 06:22:34 AM »
btw - after the initial upload, I corrected the Xorg-7.7-3d dep file to contain libzstd instead of zstd.

Offline GNUser

Re: [Solved] xscreensaver/glx problems since recent Xorg-7.7-3d.tcz upgrade
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2020, 06:35:59 AM »
Thanks, juanito! :)

It seems the package management system has a tiny flaw: It has no way to fetch corrected/changed .dep files unless the extension itself (and it's md5 sum) also changes.

The solution would be for the md5 sum to somehow be calculated based on the contents of both the .tcz and .tcz.dep files, but I can imagine this would not be easy to implement.

P.S. After forcing a re-download of all affected extensions (including their .dep files), I see that zstd.tcz is now an orphan (i.e., no extensions depend on it). Indeed, Xorg-7.7-3d does not need it--it only needs libzstd.tcz. I have removed all orphaned extensions from my system and things are still working perfectly.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 07:00:10 AM by GNUser »

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2020, 07:22:08 AM »
Hi, GNUser!

Sorry, I didn't understood from the thread, why the old version was working properly? Doesn't it uses zstd? This is just a curiosity.
One more question: if extension .dep file is updated with some changes, it will not be noticed by the local system? Of course this is low probability event but seems to be possible. Maybe during tce-update not only md5 but dep too needs to be compared?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 07:31:51 AM »
The old version didn’t use libzstd.

Offline GNUser

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 07:37:55 AM »
Hi, jazzbiker.

Yes, tce-update compares md5 of the extension but does not compare the .dep files.

Either of these would have fixed my issue of missing libzstd:

1) Keep the Xorg-7.7-3d.tcz.dep file that my system downloaded when it upgraded that extension (which listed zstd.tcz as a dependency), fix the issue that zstd.tcz.dep was missing

-or-

2) Download juanito's corrected Xorg-7.7-3d.tcz.dep file (which lists libzstd.tcz as a dependency)

After either of the above, "tce-update" (or "tce-audit fetchmissing") would have discovered that libzstd.tcz was missing from my system and would have fixed my problem.

Since "tce-update" cannot detect missing or changed .dep files, I was out of luck. It's a bug with low probability of affecting a user, but I was affected by it twice in this scenario. Lucky me!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 07:50:24 AM by GNUser »

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2020, 08:55:15 AM »
Lucky You!

Not so long ago I've caight even trickier event while using tce-update, not a bug, it can be better named bingo! I even didn't reported about it on the forum, due to its impossibility to meet with. For some reasons I expect myself to be the only one to get acquainted with it. But exploring this bingo-bug I've noticed, that opposite to tce-update, Apps didn't check dependencies during update.

So what am I to do in case if I have an extension submitted (let's imagine) and I want to update its dep file? Should I apply the meaningless changes into tcz file in order to get all the trio to be updated?

Offline GNUser

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2020, 09:23:18 AM »
So what am I to do in case if I have an extension submitted (let's imagine) and I want to update its dep file? Should I apply the meaningless changes into tcz file in order to get all the trio to be updated?
Yes, under the current system the only way for extension maintainer to make sure users get the updated .dep file during "tce-update" is for maintainer to make meaningless changes to the tcz file so that its md5sum changes.

If user wants to manually ensure that the whole trio is updated, it's enough to go into tce/optional/foo.tcz.md5.txt and change some random characters of the md5sum prior to running "tce-update".

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2020, 09:35:59 AM »
Probably for the second case user will be happy to have some option for tce-load to force refreshing. We suppose that he faced some problems with selected extension and is haunting the way to eliminate them.
But extension, that cause the trouble today could be updated a month ago... Distorting all the existing md5 files don't looks an elegant solution, its like a hammer strike.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2020, 09:44:47 AM »
IIRC there is an "update .dep files" option in Apps, not sure what it's called in the cli scripts.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2020, 09:51:56 AM »
Hi curaga
IIRC there is an "update .dep files" option in Apps, ...
So there is:
Click  Apps->Maintenance->Dependencies And Deletions
Click  Apps->Update .dep files.

Offline GNUser

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2020, 09:54:13 AM »
I just found this (thanks for the tip, curaga!):
Code: [Select]
tce-audit updatedepsIt doesn't tell you what it's doing while it runs, but I tested it (randomly deleted some .dep files and changed others) and the command fixed everything. 

I will make it a habit of running this command in combination with "tce-update".

EDIT: I looked at the tce-audit script and the reason the reason "tce-audit updatedeps" doesn't say much is because it's not making any fancy decisions--it simply downloads a fresh copy of each extension's .dep file (if one exists in the repo). Simple and effective, like all things TCL :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:03:23 AM by GNUser »

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2020, 09:56:17 AM »
Oh, that's nice! Thanks, Curaga and Rich!

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2020, 09:59:44 AM »
Hi GNUser
I believe I included that command in my earlier post ::):
... This has always worked to update everything:
Code: [Select]
tce-audit builddb
tce-audit updatedeps
tce-audit fetchmissing
tce-update
Then click the  Exit  icon and select reboot. ...