WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Potential RAM usage issue  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Alligadi

Potential RAM usage issue
« on: August 12, 2020, 08:50:27 AM »
Hi!

I have tried Corepure64 (all versions from 8 up to 11) on multiple laptops with 3 and 4GB RAM recently. To my surprise, with the same tcz combination ( https://gist.github.com/patham9/3189ca36dccd91b78a644dca8f35ba0f ), the 64 bit version is much more memory hungry. While Tinycore needs 250MB at startup, Corepure64 needs 1 GB right away. Also with Firefox or Chromium open, Corepure64 easily reaches 2.8 GB and then freezes after just a few hours of operation even with just 5 tabs open (I had to use SysReq key + f regularly!), while the 32 Bit version with 5 browser tabs open (the max. I usually use) doesn't even go beyond 1 GB RAM usage usually (the entire system!). Either all Firefox and Chromium 64 bit versions (I tried multiple versions, including Firefox 60 ESR) have memory leaks, the kernel, or the packages of Corepure64 are not space optimized as much as Tinycore's?
What do you think could be the issue of this for me unacceptable bloat or memory leakage phenomenon?

Best regards,
Alligadi

Offline Sashank999

Re: Potential RAM usage issue
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 10:52:44 AM »
Hi !
I don't know if this sounds offensive but I have a long list of items here in my onboot.lst but this consumes really less resources. It never ever exceeded 1.2 GB of RAM in my 2 GB RAM Laptop on TC 11.x x64 bit even when I open 10 tabs in firefox. A little suggestion, please don't use the repo's outdated firefox-ESR. Use firefox_getLatest.tcz .
Code: [Select]
Xfbdev.tcz
jwm.tcz
aterm.tcz
wbar.tcz
git.tcz
dillo.tcz
htop.tcz
compiletc.tcz
firmware.tcz
firmware-iwlwifi.tcz
wireless-5.4.3-tinycore64.tcz
wifi.tcz
mc.tcz
bash-dev.tcz
submitqc.tcz
firefox.tcz
ntfs-3g.tcz
pavucontrol.tcz
xmms-pulse.tcz
notosanstelugu-fonts-ttf.tcz
autogen.tcz
automake.tcz
makeself.tcz
makedepend.tcz
bind.tcz
pciutils.tcz
glib2-dev.tcz
man-pages.tcz
nano.tcz

Offline Alligadi

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 04:20:45 PM »
No worries it's not offensive at all, thank you for letting me know! :)
Given that it works for you, I will investigate further as I want to know what causes the issue on my side.
Maybe it's indeed just the 64 bit ESR browser.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 02:28:42 AM »
If you didn't run "sudo cache-clear" and just took a measurement from top or free, your boot measurement included caches.

Browsers are known memory hogs, so just watch in top for what uses RAM. Some hotkey lets you sort by memory usage.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.