Tiny Core Base > Micro Core

MicroCore using YUMI boots on black screen scattered with colored stripes

<< < (2/3) > >>

PDP-8:
Rich should get most of the credit, since he was the one who tipped me off to intel_iommu=off in the first place!

Heh, the funny thing about YUMI when you try to multiboot just core, is that you have to purposely rename the core iso to tinycore in order for the yumi dropdown to recognize it.  So by this point your inner-hacker is in charge and be ready to expect the non-standard. :)

Sooo, knowing about this purposeful misnaming, the grub you want to edit would be at

.../multiboot/TinyCore-11.1/grub.cfg
(even though in reality it is core, but that is how you educated yumi)

When purposely burning Core, it does not munge the filepath inside grub like you might see with CorePure64.

So yeah, always have to keep your head on a swivel when dealing with these 3rd party tools. :)

Lantha:
What would be the best way to install Microcore from windows 10 on a live usb flash drive then ? I saw that Core2usb isn't maintained anymore... Is there an all automatic alternative or a software better than YUMI to do it ?

Lantha:
... also, does Microcore run backup by default at shutdown or reboot ? Because it doesn't on my iso, I have to type "filetool.sh -b" otherwise my modifications are not kept after next boot.

Rich:
Hi Lantha
Try this. Add:

--- Code: ---[ "$BACKUP" -eq 1 ] && filetool.sh -b
--- End code ---
to your  /opt/shutdown.sh  file where it says  "# put user shutdown commands here".

Then shutdown your system like this:

--- Code: ---exitcheck.sh
--- End code ---

PDP-8:
Rich's solution is awesome!  And it point to the right way to do things upon shutdown.

I prefer the flexibility of doing it manually with filetool.sh -b.  That way, when I totally mess up my existing system, I just throw all my changes away by NOT using the backup and simply reboot.

However, just to save keystrokes, I recycled the "shutdown" command that I was used to from years ago, and put that into a shell script named shutdown.  I made it executable of course with chmod +x

--- Code: ---filetool.sh -b
sudo poweroff
--- End code ---

So now if I use the shutdown script, it backs up before powering off.  If I don't, I start from where I was before I rebooted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version