WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: openbox.tce writes over my $HOME/.config files each reboot  (Read 2506 times)

Offline samedirection

openbox.tce writes over my $HOME/.config files each reboot
« on: July 17, 2009, 08:27:44 AM »
I think it's down to the script in /usr/local/bin/openbox_initmenu, which contains this line:

rsync -a /etc/skel/.config/openbox /home/$USER/.config

(may not be exact.  I'm copying from paper notes).  It doesn't check for an existing set of config files first, and overwrites them every time.  This means my modifications to the menu and keyboard configs don't persist.

Also, it leaves the /home/tc/.config/openbox owned by root.root.

Thanks.

Offline samedirection

Re: openbox.tce writes over my $HOME/.config files each reboot
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 09:54:23 PM »
I'm away for 4 days, so I won't be able to respond to anyone who answers this thread for a while.  I thought that I should add, in case it's relevant, that I'm using a persistant /home/tc directory.

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 05:40:58 AM »
It doesn't check for an existing set of config files first, and overwrites them every time.
That sounds like a bad thing to me.  Is that script part of the original openbox package, or something added for the TC extension?  If it's the latter I'd definitely suggest the packager fix it...overwritng files without asking or checking can be seen as being very rude.

Offline junan

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 02:14:32 AM »
it's added for tc extension.
just follow the example from hackedbox.tce
i will check it again, or maybe add some checking before overwrite in near time.
fun and fearless ...

Offline samedirection

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 03:43:58 PM »
junan, thanks very much for yesterday's fresh update of openbox.  Unless I'm wrong, however, it doesn't seem to have fixed this particular problem.  My $HOME/.config/openbox/ files are still overwritten each time the extension loads. 

(By the way did you mean that I should just follow the example in hackedbox, or that you did to make the extension?)

Offline junan

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 10:53:09 PM »
how do you know it is still overwrite the files ?
when i test it , i can change the theme , and after reboot the changes still remains.
that means after reboot, the files not overwritten (file = /home/$USER/.config/openbox/rc.xml)
fun and fearless ...