WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: htop.tcz IO_RATE no perm  (Read 7714 times)

Offline webb

htop.tcz IO_RATE no perm
« on: August 21, 2019, 12:41:48 PM »
Hey folks,

htop shows 'no perm' for IO_RATE, IO_READ_RATE, and IO_WRITE_RATE. (Likewise sudo htop.) htop.tcz htop 2.1.0 Linux pipeline 4.19.10-tinycore64 #1999 SMP Tue Dec 18 15:18:54 UTC 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux. Same for 3.0.0beta5. I've not seen this exact issue in other distros, and I want to fix it. Does anyone have any thoughts about the cause?

Many thanks,
Webb

Offline Pats

Re: htop.tcz IO_RATE no perm
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 06:15:45 AM »
From net :
If you run it as a regular user you won't have privileges to see the Disk I/O.
If you run it with sudo htop and then use the menus to add I/O columns you can see what each process is doing in terms of disk activity.In htopPressF2 > Go down to columns and then use F5 to add the following.IO_READ_RATEIO_WRITE_RATEIO_RATE

You will have to use sudo to view the I/O activity, if you run htop without sudo you will see that the I/O columns say "no perm".

1)*https://askubuntu.com/questions/976067/equivalent-of-real-time-disk-usage-feature-of-task-manager-for-windows
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 06:18:30 AM by Pats »

Offline webb

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 03:30:58 AM »
Hi Pats,

It isn't a permissions problem. htop as root and sudo htop also show no perm. Feedback from the developer suggests that the problem is that there's no /proc/<PID>/io . Anyone know how to add a /proc/<PID>/io ?

Many thanks,
Webb

Offline webb

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 03:36:36 AM »
Looks like the problem is with the kernel configuration: these are required for /prod/<PID>/io:

CONFIG_TASKSTATS=y
CONFIG_TASK_XACCT=y
CONFIG_TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING=y

but this is the CorePure kernel config:

CONFIG_TASKSTATS=y
CONFIG_TASK_DELAY_ACCT=y
# CONFIG_TASK_XACCT is not set

I'll post a request to change this in next kernel config.

Best,
Webb

Offline Pats

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 07:25:54 AM »
Hi webb,
 ..Looks like, your requirement is different. .. When I was experimenting in htop, follow link was helpful for me:
1)*http://www.concept47.com/austin_web_developer_blog/sysadmin/something-cool-i-learned-about-htop/

About kernel configs , curaga, juanito, Rich etc are the right persons to guide. .. Very long time gone, I had compiled the kernel with the help of a how-to ! :)