WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: What package format does tiny core use and how do i install packages  (Read 4216 times)

Offline Dr Noodle

What package format does tiny core use and how do i install packages that i have downloaded on another computer and put on a usb?

Offline alu

Re: What package format does tiny core use and how do i install packages
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 11:47:56 PM »
.tce and .tcz (save ram) packages. you have to put your packages on a usb stick (for example) and to plug the usb stick in the computer where you have tc running. then install them with appbrowser or start an aterm and type:

tce-load /where/your/package/is

Offline Friedl

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 11:52:05 PM »
What package format does tiny core use
TinyCore uses two different package types: .tce (gzipped tar files) and .tcz (cramfs or ziofs compressed mountable images). See http://tinycorelinux.com/concepts.html for a description of these types and the wiki for an instruction how to create new ones and submit them to the official repository: http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/tiki-index.php?page=Creating+Extensions

and how do i install packages that i have downloaded on another computer and put on a usb?
To install .tce packages from outside the official repository, start the appbrowser then click on "File->Install Local". For local .tcz files: these are not really "installed" at all, you just have to copy them into your "Persistent Personal Repository" (PPR).

This mixed up extension concept is quite flexible but a little bit confusing for beginners. I have to admit that I do not have a good understanding of this PPR either, so I really do hope that some day someone will draw some nice pictures and add them to the "Tiny Core Concepts" page so that those who learn with their eyes have a better chance to understand the difference between these "modes of operation".

Offline Guy

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 10:08:41 AM »
how do i install packages that i have downloaded on another computer and put on a usb?

You can paste them to the "tce" folder, and reboot the computer for them to be loaded.

/install-programs.html][removed due to policy violation]/install-programs.html
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:19:38 AM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.