WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Opera Unite web server  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Artie

Opera Unite web server
« on: June 22, 2009, 02:19:22 PM »
Would it be possible to set up TinyCore or MicroCore as a webserver where the OS only contains Opera Unite and a folder with files in it?

Artie

Offline robc

Re: Opera Unite web server
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 02:48:13 PM »
This is possible, the first step would be building Opera 10 (its still in beta) with Unite for TC. Then you have a choice of either creating an extension to load Opera Unite upon booting or creating a remaster of TC to include Opera Unite in the base. You will also need all of the dependencies in order for it to work.

You may be able to accomplish your goals using apache and/or vsftpd instead (this would be a much lighter alternative).
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:35:40 PM »
Opera Unite is available with qt statically built in so there may be no dependencies like the regular Opera. 

http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/10-unite/intel-linux/opera-10.00-4440.gcc4-static-qt3.i386.tar.bz2

I may try it out when I get home.  It would be a heavy solution for a web server, but may well work.

Offline florian

• Home Page
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:52:07 PM »
Off topic, but ... maybe for something similar you may want to try POW, a firefox extension that adds a tiny web server (which understands server side javascript, can use the ff sqllite database...). Works well with Minefield and is only 80K.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3002

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 05:03:08 PM »
That Opera in the posted link does run on TC and does not seem to have any dependencies (at least not according to ldd). 

Offline Artie

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 10:51:17 AM »
Thanks everybody for the answers. I know there are other alternatives out there but I've read through the Opera documentation and seen their videos and I think their procedure is simple enough for me to understand...  :) And there are also many more possibilities with Opera. I'll wait for a report from Jason W before I do anything.

Artie

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
I don't have an Opera account, which is necessary for the web service.  So I won't be using or testing that part of it.  But it is a nice browser.