Author Topic: Is there something special about kernel config in dcore?  (Read 2222 times)

Offline yoshi314

Is there something special about kernel config in dcore?
« on: November 20, 2015, 03:38:28 AM »
I recently got an x86 tablet (hp slate2 with dreaded gma600 gfx chip). dcore is just about the only distro that detects the usb storage at boot time and loads extensions from it, any other live distro requires that its files are placed on internal storage, as usb devices are not detected at all, or are detected but ignored at boot time (various parameters to delay boot to give usb detection some time did not help).

Is there anything special about kernel configuration in dcore that makes it cooperate well with this quirky hardware?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Is there something special about kernel config in dcore?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 06:18:32 AM »
Below is the kernel config.  The only real difference between it and the config for Core is the enabling devtmpfs.  So I don't know why dCore works on this specific hardware and others don't, but I am glad to hear that it does.

http://tinycorelinux.net/dCore/x86/import/src/kernel-3.16.6/config-3.16.6-tinycore-mountdevtmpfs

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:19:32 AM »
I do remember having to play with the udev rules regarding persistent storage and the /dev/disk directory that affected usb and booting.  May or may not pertain to what you are seeing.

Does standard Core work with usb also with this tablet?

Offline yoshi314

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 01:43:52 AM »
I'll try and see. It's a really quirky hardware, i must admit. Esp when it comes to identifying the storage.

Offline yoshi314

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 08:35:49 AM »
I think it is about the in-kernel usbcore. I am investigating it now.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 12:44:52 PM »
Yeah, they're built-in to save a bit of boot time, and to detect USB devices 1-3s faster. Having them as modules shouldn't prevent USB from working at all though.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.