WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Sending email  (Read 1723 times)

Offline andyj

Sending email
« on: November 18, 2015, 12:29:38 PM »
I'm trying to send email alerts from Postgresql, and I've gotten as far as a TCL script that listens for notifies from the database. That much works. What I can't get is TCL or any command line utility to successfully send an e-mail. Either the TLS and/or SSL doesn't seem to be right and so the authentication doesn't work. I have TCL TLS installed, and it works for HTTPS so that much is OK. I was thinking a fallback would be to exec a CLI utility. I downloaded mailutils but apparently it needs configuration before it will connect to an smtp server? What command line email schemes has anybody used?

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
Re: Sending email
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 12:21:51 AM »
@andyj: Many times...  helps to start with Google :)

http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/12/01/how-to-send-email-from-the-linux-command-line/

If memory serves, mailutils.tcz is likely the support needed to implement the command-line utilities such as "mail" as described in the above link.
Also see sendEmail.tcz if you by chance have Perl installed.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline andyj

Re: Sending email
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 07:13:18 AM »
I should have asked "which has anybody used successfully?" SendEmail doesn't support TLS without a bunch of perl modules. It would be nice if mailutils.tcz came with a sample config file. At least I'd have a go by. It has a dependency on GNU TLS but not SSL so I can't say for sure that it would work.