WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Any chance of change to boot code for opt and home to include folders?  (Read 1660 times)

gordon64

Hi
###########
pre-amble
##########
I decided to rebuild my partitions on hard drive to have both 32 and 64 distros unpacked and working on the same partition.

I am aware, I could have them on separate partitions.....but read on please.

corebook offer good explanation and examples of using boot code for a persistance tce dir in a specific location such as tce=/sda1/mydir
---my tce is found as tce=sda4/64tce

Secondly I don't need to specify a separate restore boot code as I am happy with mydata.tgz located at my current folder.

###########
my problem
#########

I tried to be smart, and use boot codes of home=sda4/64home opt=sda4/64opt and found this does not work.

The answer lies in corebook chapter 10.5 which states
Each bootcode takes either a drive name, a label, or an UUID

#######
my temporary solution
#######
I will just have to put opt=sda4 and home=sda4 and put 32 opt and home into a separate partition
opt may not grow much so could risk leaving it mydata but I don't want to do that to speed up shutdown and boot up

thanks for reading

################
request bootcode
##############

opt=sda1/mydir
home=sda1/mydir

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Opt and home normally do not contain binaries, only scripts.
I suggest you keep it that way.
If you need directories with binaries, symlink them in bootlocal.sh.

gordon64

thanks for the quick reply

mark it as solved if you can.

cheers

Offline Misalf

I have as well tried that because it seemed logic (which it is not, at least for /opt) and thought it would be worth implementing, but now I'm totally fine with having symlinks to big files or dirs in my backup, pointing to any subdir I want.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)