WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Selecting an area of the screen for a screenshot using your mouse  (Read 32076 times)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Selecting an area of the screen for a screenshot using your mouse
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2015, 12:48:21 PM »
If it doesn't prevent a VT switch, you can switch there and do a "killall grabber". If there are no extra VTs, it's fully ok to suspend X with ctrl-Z.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2015, 07:14:17 PM »
Hi coreplayer2
Adding  ESC  is not a problem. Quitting all instances might be tricky.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 11:47:05 AM »
Hi coreplayer2
Both changes have been implemented.

I'll PM you a download link.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 12:12:17 PM »
Awesome, thanks Rich   

After using the previous version with the help menu all morning (which is cool thanks) I have one quick question?  Can the "Shift" key be inhibited from bringing up the help screen as "Shift is required when using X or Y etc. etc..   You can see the dilemma?  While it has no effect on the outcome, every time we try to select Shift+x or Shift+y we are presented with the onscreen help menu. 

great job

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 12:17:10 PM »
Hi coreplayer2
Oops, I missed that. Shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »
Hi coreplayer2
Link for fixed version sent to you.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2015, 01:17:30 PM »
Works great thanks Rich

Onscreen help, "Shift" and kill-all keys work as expected thanks

Now that I'm experienced with the program I use the mouse to set starting x & y position, then drag a box a little larger than the window to capture.  Then I use the arrow keys to position the top & left selection bars exactly over the desired border and then use x & y keys to reduce the width and height selection bars exactly over the desired borders.  Selecting "s" saves to my user directory.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:19:57 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2015, 02:19:01 PM »
Hi coreplayer2
You're welcome, glad you like it. If you or anyone else think of anything else, let me know. I'll hold off submitting
this version a few days.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2015, 03:26:06 PM »
I luv it thanks..

I have a couple observations which are really trivial and I don't really know if they are worth any attention because could be just semantics, but they are worth mentioning..

First,   regarding the selection box, which are Top/Left and Bottom/Right outlines.   you can move and position the x & y co-ordinates which define the Left outline and Top outline, so that the top/left selection outlines are positioned over a window border using the arrow keys or L/l R/r keys. 
then you can move and position the h & w co-ordinates (I assume Height and Width) which define the bottom outline and right outline, so that the bottom/right selection outlines are positioned over a window border using the arrow keys or X/x and Y/y keys.

Maybe there is some technical reason why we can't move the x and y co-ordinates with the arrow keys and X/x and Y/y keys.  Then move the W and H co-ordinates with W/w and H/h keys..   Sounds good right?? 

Secondly,   this is more difficult to explain..     When you position the selection box exactly over the desired window border lets say over the outermost one pixel width of the widow border, the top & left selection components capture the one pixel beneath the selection bars.  Whereas the right & bottom (W & H) selection bars do not capture the one pixel of the window border directly beneath them, ie the saved window shot is missing the one pixel off the bottom and right sides.  Conversely you could say that the top and left portion of the saved window shot have gained the extra one pixel of the window border.

Honestly I don't know which is right, but I think the x/y and w/h selection co-ordinates should capture the same.  That is either the pixel inside the border or the pixel underneath, for all sides of the selection box.   I'm thinking if you draw a box around a window you should capture every pixel inside that selection., seems logical..?

sorry if that's clear as mud...
 8)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:31:07 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline nitram

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2015, 04:22:43 PM »
I really like grabber and keep it in OnDemand so please don't misunderstand. When i read coreplayer2's latest comment, Scrot's window capture immediately came to mind. If a screenshot of only a specific window is desired, just click on the window and it's automagically captured for the screenshot, no fiddling with border edges and x/y nudges. Personally i'm not picky with screenshots, just outline a portion of the desktop/close enough and take the shot, but for users who desire pixel precision maybe a future feature? Take care :)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2015, 05:43:14 PM »
Well I hope Rich doesn't think I'm being picky.. 

grabber is super  ;D

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2015, 08:22:29 PM »
Hi coreplayer2
No, Rich doesn't think you're being picky, he's just contemplating the contents of your last post.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2015, 08:24:55 PM »
Hi nitram
Scrot's window capture immediately came to mind. If a screenshot of only a specific window is desired, just click on the window and it's automagically captured for the screenshot ...
I presented a script a couple of years ago that can do that too:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,15086.msg86458.html#msg86458

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2015, 10:18:26 PM »
Hi coreplayer2
So it sounds like you want to use upper/lower case x, y, w, and h to better match the notation used in the coordinates
window, that's doable.
With respect to the outline, yes, the area defined does not include the bottom/right lines. Fixing that might prove to
be messy. I'd need to examine the code very carefully to see what's involved.

Offline nitram

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2015, 08:07:57 AM »
I presented a script a couple of years ago that can do that too:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,15086.msg86458.html#msg86458
Hi Rich. Thanks for providing some TC screenshot history. Your windowshot script still works well in TC6 x86 with the modifications described in the link, if you were thinking about submitting an extension. Take care.