WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: New Operating System  (Read 2335 times)

Offline cyormoulpio

New Operating System
« on: December 10, 2014, 01:14:26 AM »
I am looking for someone to help me develop a new operating system, something that is not Windows, Mac or Linux but something new. the problems I see is Windows costs to much you cant modify it and has problems, mac is to constricting and expensive in both the OS and software as well it will only run on Apple hardware without modification. and Linux although it is free it lacks support and is simply not designed for a very basic user. (my opinion) I want something that is inexpensive, easy to use and well supported all in one. and i simply do not have the time or knowledge to do something like an operating system.

I would like to make two versions a basic version that would be free and a pro version that would cost anywhere from $5.00-$10.00 USD

If anyone is interested in helping me please email me at:
cyormoulpio@dunflimblag.mailexpire.com
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 02:10:33 AM by cyormoulpio »

Offline CentralWare

• Retired Admins
Re: New Operating System
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 05:45:39 AM »
Who will be paying for the techs to design and implement this new operating system, write the basic software to make it interactive and then design software applications for it to run on top of the operating system, let alone "support" the operating system once it launches to the general public to answer the hundreds of emails and phone calls that will come in?

Example: It took the combined efforts of Microsoft and IBM two years to produce the operating system called OS/2.  These are two highly staffed companies with very deep pockets, mind you...  and it took two whole years just to have a text based operating system.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2
IBM and Microsoft split company back in 1990.  The next Microsoft release was Windows '95.  You can likely do the math as to how long that took, with dozens of highly trained (so they say) technicians designing hundreds of smaller applications which when combined, became the operating system.

My guess is that you're not actually after a full blow OS, but it sounds more like you're interested in a "UE" (User Environment) which is generally more user-friendly than the typical Linux desktop, but less costly than one from Microsoft.  That's not impossible.  To ask for "fully supported" though, when an OS is being sold for say $10 or less...  most people these days won't sit around answering phone calls, emails, etc. for $5/$10 per sale.

The old anecdote is "...you can please some of the people, some of the time..."  This applies to desktops as well.  Each person will want things done in their own unique way, and there's simply nobody out there I've met who can predict what the next generation is going to want.  From the sound of your post, it looks like you're wanting all of this for free as well.  In the end, people strive to make Linux better...  simply to make Linux better.  MS strives to push new Windows versions out every 2-3 years...  because they draw income from it.  (Ditto for Mac.)  If you want both worlds, you'll have to follow Red-Hat's direction and have a "free" version which the public using it becomes their beta-testers...  and have a professional version which basically is paid for through a "service plan" to pay the employees OFFERING the service to the customers.  The BETA comes out first (ie: Fedora) and the population beats the heck out of it, RH fixes different problems (in many cases) and when the bug reports begin to dwindle, they copy the BETA over to the RETAIL plan and start a new beta.

Hope this information sheds a little light to the concept of building operating systems.  As Microsoft would have told you...  "That will be $199.00 USD, please!"

Offline kalu

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 12:49:55 PM »
Linux although it is free it lacks support and is simply not designed for a very basic user.

I think Ubuntu offers support and is simply designed for a very basic user. Try it.., maybe it's already what you're talking about.

Also, don't just do it for the money. You have to be very passionate in the subject to succeed. From Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, Ubuntu, Facebook, Google and all the richest companies in the IT world down to the smallest IT companies (as far as I know of) all have leaders/owners who are very very passionate in programming/IT. Either you are this type of person or you need to team up with someone that really really is (of this type).

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 01:37:39 PM »
Have you seen Haiku for your alternative O/S, it's been many years in the making & still not release ready.
http://haiku-os.org/
AMD, ARM, & Intel.