WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Adding jwm - requires workaround [SOLVED]  (Read 5616 times)

Offline 2os

Adding jwm - requires workaround [SOLVED]
« on: May 02, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »
I add JWM to TC but have to use a workaround to get it. Here is what I have seen:

1. The list under Apps in TC, and in the  x86 tcz list http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/5.x/x86/tcz/ is showing jwm-snapshot.tcz. There is no jwm.tcz.

2. When trying to load through Apps in TC, jwm-snapshot.tcz is failing at the point that it is trying to download Xorg-7.6.

3. Both Apps in TC and the tcz list referenced above are showing Xorg as Xorg-7.7.

4. The CorePlus image includes jwm.tcz and Xorg-7.7 and the jwm.tcz.dep file lists Xorg-7.7-lib.tcz.

At this time, I copy the jwm files from the optional folder in the CorePlus image and paste them in the optional folder of my customized TC image. This workaround works fine.

Does anyone know whether this inability to acquire JWM directly is intentional or am I missing something?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 02:19:43 PM by 2os »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Adding jwm - requires workaround
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 01:48:33 PM »
jwm was removed from the tc-5.x repo because it had been compiled with a dep on libpng12 - I just checked jwm-snapshot and it has also been compiled with a dep on libpng12. In addition to this, jwm-snapshot lists Xorg-7.6-lib as a dep, which is also not present in the tc-5.x repo.

To be in the tc-5.x repo, both jwm and jwm-snapshot need to be compiled with a dep on the version of libpng in tc-5.x, which is libpng16.

I don't use the coreplus iso, but I would assume it included jwm believing the version in the tc-5.x repo worked on tc-5.x, which proved not to be the case.

Both jwm and jwm-snapshot have been removed from the tc-5.x repo until they are recompiled for tc-5.x

Offline 2os

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 09:22:10 PM »
Juanito - thank you for this explanation. I will check on it later on.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 04:14:58 AM »
It looks like the most recent version of the jwm extension overwrote an earlier version that I had recompiled for tc-5.x.

I've reposted the older version of the jwm extension, which works with tc-5.x, please feel free to recompile a more recent version.

Edit: CorePlus iso reposted
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:26:18 AM by Juanito »

Offline 2os

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 08:22:30 AM »
Thank you, that helps. However, cursor is an X and no windows frames.

jwm -p says: error while loading shared libraries: libXinerama.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 08:26:08 AM »
Maybe I missed a dep, does loading the libXinerama extension fix things?

Offline 2os

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 09:48:20 AM »
Yes, adding libXinerama made an improvement.

Cursor is back to an arrow and windows have frames and window controls at top right corner. However, frames are red.

jwm -p --> configuration error: could not open /home/tc/.jwmrc or /usr/local/etc/systerm.jwmrc.

BTW, yesterday I experimented with it several times and it was initially at the same state as it is now. Later on it changed to be what I described earlier today.

Thanks.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »
dep file updated.

I repackaged the extension - as I only have an x86_64 system to hand I couldn't test it - you'll need to use the apps gui "apps/maintenance/check for updates" function and reboot to test the new version of jwm

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 12:58:46 PM »
IIRC, red frames must be a default when config is not properly applied, I think I had experienced such in the past when being in wrong $PWD while starting X or jwm.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 01:18:04 PM »
Works great over here...   though I switch between windows managers, lately Hackedbox is my favorite

Offline 2os

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 02:18:22 PM »
Super! Works as it should.

Thanks you!