WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TCL5.x : On the fly TCZs from the Debian Repos  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Pats

TCL5.x : On the fly TCZs from the Debian Repos
« on: April 04, 2014, 03:51:06 AM »
While using dCore and importsce recently, a thought came in the mind [ may be too dumb ], is it possible that instead of making new required .tcz for 5.x repo for diff Apps, a  mechanism may be developed to create required separate .tcz exts from the already available Debain Repos - on the fly before stroring them in the tce/optional dire ?
Because .sce are too bulky and .tcz requires somebody to create/upgrade/maintains them regularly. Is there any technical/legal/licence deficulties for doing so? If already asked and answered, then pl ignore.

Just a thought.
~Pats

Offline hiro

Re: TCL5.x : On the fly TCZs from the Debian Repos
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 05:55:19 AM »
I don't think you're worse off just installing debian then.
A main point of tinycore is that you can use it with small extensions that don't depend on a big ecsystem like most debian extensions do.
The main advantage of tinycore might very well be it's tiny extensions.

Offline Pats

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 07:10:03 AM »
Hi hiro,

I do'nt know if you got my point or not.
Suppose I want mc.tcz for 5.x, then AppBrow will check tce/optional for already available .tczs as per the mc.tcz.dep and create one-by-one, only the required number of .tczs for downloading to tce/optional. If shortage of RAM is concerned - a temp dire under /home/tc can be used for intermediate files..

So no question of compromsing the concept of tinycore's small / tiny footprint. Off-course I do not know if it is really practical or legal.

Offline hiro

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 07:15:18 AM »
There are no legal problems in using debian packages and many people here do so regularly when there aren't crazy dependencies.
But to make debian's dependency and dependency management work highly integrated in tinycore seems not useful to me. As I said, then you can just use debian right away.
But I probably stil don't get the question.