WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: noob question: run in CD mode?  (Read 5135 times)

Offline sgull

noob question: run in CD mode?
« on: November 16, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »
On this page http://tinycorelinux.net/overview.html it describes the methods of either running in cloud mode (topic #3) or running in USB stick mode (topic #4).   But what about trying to run in "CD mode" where it would be similar to the description of how to run in USB stick mode except where I wish to save my applications and make them portable on a CD(RW) rather than on a USB stick.  In that case, how would those USB stick mode instructions differ?  I have Tiny Core 5.0.2 installed on a CD(RW) and am wishing to run it from there and save the applications/configurations/settings etc onto that disc (but not a USB stick) and run in that "mode".     

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: noob question: run in CD mode?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »
A CD ISO filesystem is not read-write.
Other than the remastering suggestions in the wiki, you are out of luck.

Offline sgull

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:52:19 PM »
Then I suppose I'll need to acquire a usb stick.  Believe it or not I've never owned one, or used one.  Checking online, looks like they don't cost much at least.   USB stick is the same as a usb thumb drive, apparently, or am I mistaken?   

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:06:43 PM »
Hi sgull
USB stick is the same as a usb thumb drive ...
Yes. Some people call them  memory sticks, thumb drives, pen drives. All the same.

Offline sgull

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 11:11:58 PM »
Okay, what's about the minimum size usb stick (or thumb drive or pen drive) flash memory capacity appropriate for running Tiny Core in USB stick mode?   Hard to say?  I suppose it all depends on how many and what size extensions/applications I want to run (save)?  And how many files I want to create/save?  Probably will never be wanting/needing to be saving many if any multimedia type files.  Is 128MB pen drive too small?  Any comments appreciated.

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 11:47:21 PM »
Is 128MB pen drive too small?  Any comments appreciated.

You can run the OS from a 128 MB stick quite handily, but depending on your requirements for applications and data files, it might be a little tight... libreoffice is over 150 MB by itself and well over 200 MB with its dependencies.

On the other hand, if you don't already have a 128 MB stick you're not to likely to find one... Current stock in (US) stores starts at 4 GB, which is plenty.  I've picked up PNY brand 16 GB sticks for under ten (US) dollars - the local "Big Lots" store has them on sale this week and next for $8.88.

I try to keep my Cor installation light, don't use heavy apps like libreoffice all that much, but I do like to have plenty of extra room to transport files - "typical" USB stick usage.  I'm sure this must be where the saying "Walk softly and carry a big stick" originated... or at least I think I'll adopt it as a motto.    :)

32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 11:58:58 PM »
Hi sgull
Is 128MB pen drive too small?
I didn't think you could still get drives that small.
As you said, it depends on the size of the apps you wish to install and how much data you need to save. 128Mbytes will
work if it fits your needs. Depending on where you are located, places like Staples, Office Depot, Best Buy, etc. will
often put them on sale. Last time I bought one was a few years ago, it was 8Gb and cost $8. It's tough to give a definitive
answer without knowing specifics, but a 1GB drive would probably be a comfortable starting point.

Offline sgull

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 12:08:21 AM »
You can run the OS from a 128 MB stick quite handily, but depending on your requirements for applications and data files, it might be a little tight... libreoffice is over 150 MB by itself and well over 200 MB with its dependencies.  On the other hand, if you don't already have a 128 MB stick you're not to likely to find one... Current stock in (US) stores starts at 4 GB, which is plenty.  I've picked up PNY brand 16 GB sticks for under ten (US) dollars - the local "Big Lots" store has them on sale this week and next for $8.88.  I try to keep my Cor installation light, don't use heavy apps like libreoffice all that much, but I do like to have plenty of extra room to transport files - "typical" USB stick usage. 

Well there seems to be at least a few 128 MB sticks available here [ Link to commercial site deleted - Please read forum rules. ]   Not that I necessarily want to go that small but I just don't necessarily want to spend more (although I know we're not talking big bucks here) for an excessively large capacity for just using for Tiny Core.  My plan is to try to keep my Cor installation light also, and I don't use heavy apps like libreoffice either.  I suppose it makes sense though to have a bigger capacity for transport of files, although I've rarely had the need (up to this point) to be transporting files much for any particular reason.  Thanks.

Edit:  Sorry for posting link to commercial site in violation to that forum rule which I'd overlooked.  Not that it matters much now but the commercial site link (now deleted) was to a large online mail-order oufit everybody knows of.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:28:19 PM by sgull »

Offline sgull

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 12:11:32 AM »
a 1GB drive would probably be a comfortable starting point. 

Okay sounds reasonable.  And comfortable, to start with.   Thanks

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
Hi sgull
Whatever you do, make sure the drive is USB2. Those smaller drives (128Mbyte) are probably USB1 which is much
slower and you won't be happy with the performance.

Offline sgull

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 12:21:12 AM »
Hi sgull  Whatever you do, make sure the drive is USB2. Those smaller drives (128Mbyte) are probably USB1 which is much
slower and you won't be happy with the performance. 

Okay, gotcha.  thanks for the tip Rich.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 12:23:10 AM »
Looking at the prices for those 128MB sticks, with double the price you could get 64x the capacity...
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Rich

• Administrator

Offline Misalf

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 04:36:40 AM »
I heard that with cheaper flash drives, the chances of making it boot reliably are often better compared to more expensive drives of 'higher quality' (IIRC it was a somehow better but not widely supported chip that was used in the more pricey flash drives). I don't know if it's still true with new fabrications.

I'd suggest to get at least one extra flash drive with different specifications.

Just recently a flashdrive where I had TC (and others) installed has died after some years of good use - which was bad because I havn't made a backup of its files. I'm more careful concerning flash drives now.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline sgull

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 12:43:41 PM »
If you are located in the US then this might be of interest:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/24458216?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3&adid=22222222227017574065&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=25394740116&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=50612731956&veh=sem

I am in the US.  If I was to order that particular stick from Walmart online, I see that I could get free shipping if my order was over 50 bucks.  I'll keep it in mind thanks.

By the way, I'll leave it to the moderators, but when I haphazardly posted a link to a commercial site in this thread previously, it got deleted per violation of forum rules.  just sayin'.    :o