WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: noob question: run in CD mode?  (Read 5134 times)

Offline sgull

Re: noob question: run in CD mode?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 01:01:28 PM »
I heard that with cheaper flash drives, the chances of making it boot reliably are often better compared to more expensive drives of 'higher quality   I'd suggest to get at least one extra flash drive with different specifications.

In regard to different specifications I was wondering about the recommendation here http://tinycorelinux.net/overview.html under item #1 (minimum system requirements) where it says "USB Memory Stick, also known as a USB Pen Drive with a known filename on it; this will help you to identify your stick."   ???

I'm assuming the known filename is one I would be creating, and not something already on the USB Memory Stick (also known as a USB Pen Drive) when I buy it.   Just askin'...   to make sure...    I'm new to this newfangled flash drive stuff thats been around for years.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 01:17:23 PM »
The file is just a suggestion to help you identify the device once mounted.  Filesystem labels are also helpful.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 01:19:31 PM »
Hi sgull
The reason for having a known filename on the thumb drive was to make it easier for individuals with multiple drives to
identify the correct drive before formatting. If you are familiar with your hardware, you could probably use:
Code: [Select]
fdsisk -land identify the correct drive by looking at the drive sizes.