WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Using Live Cd with /home on USB  (Read 1942 times)

Offline panorama

Using Live Cd with /home on USB
« on: May 18, 2009, 10:21:09 PM »
Im a computer nomad and many of the computers i use will not boot from USB, so live cd's are perfect for what i do. Im used to using Ubuntu, but TC's boot time and scalability make it far more appealing to me. That said TC is a bit different than im used to and I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to configure it the way i want.

This is what i want to do:

1. Boot from the live cd into the Ram, id rather not remaster so if i loose the cd i can just quickly download and reburn the core system (at 10 megs that would be a snap...unlike with ubuntu).
2. Have apps and files on a usb pen drive so they are editable without having to remaster the whole iso.
3. Have said usb home folder load when the cd boots, or with a simple command line that will mount the folder and its apps

Is there a tutorial to do this kind of live cd with persistence floating around somewhere?

Thanks so much!

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Using Live Cd with /home on USB
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:35:43 PM »
Have a look at this, it might help:

http://www.tinycorelinux.com/faq.html#pendrives

Offline Guy

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 02:08:20 AM »
If the BIOS in a computer will not boot an operating system from a USB drive (most older computers), you will not be able to run Tiny Core from a live CD and load modules from the USB drive. The computer cannot access the USB drive early enough in the boot process to load the modules.

Here is a tutorial on how to make a Tiny Core Live CD with Programs.

/modified-cd.html][removed due to policy violation]/modified-cd.html

It is quite easy.

You can save personal files to your USB drive, or anywhere you like.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:26:06 AM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline panorama

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 04:59:47 AM »
i hadnt even considered that point, makes complete sense. ill do a remaster later today  :)