WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: (Solved) Re: Cups can't access admin screen  (Read 16285 times)

Offline athouston

Re: Cups can't access admin screen
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »
I edited cupsd.conf to change listen to 9100 and added ServerName 192.168.0.22.

I added cupsd.conf to my backup inclusion list and verifed thatit worked.

Running sudo cups start allows me to browse the admin screen (It requires the sudo).

After I reboot I cannot browse the admin screen.

Cups start reports it is running but it does not show in netstat. Executingsudo cups start makes it all work again.

I double checked cupsd.conf and it is correct.

Offline athouston

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 08:00:42 PM »
If the fact that the admin screen is not imemdiately available after boot does not stop the print functions then I am happy to live with this issue now that I can access the admin screen "manually".

However: when I try and do anything in the admin screen I get an error "Request Entity Too Large". Is this related or should I open a new thread.

Thanks.

Offline athouston

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 09:49:30 PM »
Web search suggests it is not related but an access problem.

I'll start a new thread for this.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 11:27:32 PM »
What is the TCL equivalent to the MS-DOS dir /s command to search for a file in all sub-directories please.

Code: [Select]
ls -R
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline athouston

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 12:01:28 AM »
Thanks TP.

aus9

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 02:17:48 AM »
I have not got to the stage of trying to actually install a printer because I haven't been able to get to an interface.
It might have helped if you had explained how your printer was connecting before?

I hope you trust me when I say, from a trouble shooting point of view, we first need to get your printer working
then and ony then do we look at how much persistence you want.
---you have already advised you print often so we will give you the works later.

Ok so you advise you have a static ip so the listen section changes but I am still unsure what you mean by hard wired?

1) ethernet cable to device, usb lead to device?
b) Do users print from the internet to this device? Or only local network users?

It looks like its similar to HP so I suggest your config becomes
Listen 192.168.0.24:9100

Juanito is more of an expert than me, but I assure you, I have a hp connected to a router with a static address and assuming
 Kyocera use 9100 we hope we get you to your interface.

2) do not use a /usr/local/etc/cups/client.conf unless you can't get to it.
I repeat you have a local address, if you listen to Port 631 you are listening to all ports including the net.

good luck
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:29:38 AM by aus9 »

aus9

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 02:42:32 AM »
ok umm lets start persistence, we will finish the /usr/local/etc/cups/ppd /usr/local/etc/cups/printers.conf only when we get an admin screen and we can only edit that admin area with root powers.

I am assuming you will print often as per reply.

1) do the root password and add the file to your backup as per info file
2) you need a PPD which will come from gutenprint and you need cups
so download gutenprint and then start apps and use the list to show the following, in addition to any other onboot stuff
cups
gutenprint

A graphical way is open the apps -> maintenance  -> onboot maintenance

If you accidently puts cups or dbus into ondemand please remove back to left pane ok then click into onboot and select them into right hand pane
3) Now to add persistence to 2 daemons only because you print often

edit bootlocal.sh and add the following
/usr/local/etc/init.d/dbus start
/bin/sleep 3
/usr/local/etc/init.d/cups start

That sleep of 3 seconds assumes a longer boot up of 3 seconds but might stop the cups from failing.

now reboot, forget about the web page and report what you see for the following commands pls

ls /usr/local/tce.installed/ | grep cups
ls /usr/local/tce.installed/ | grep dbus
/usr/local/etc/init.d/dbus status
/usr/local/etc/init.d/cups status

if daemons are not falling over, then its the quality of the cups.d file to get you to the web interface

good luck

PS could you do a favour and not have any internet conf file so we are truly testing local only
ie remove /usr/local/etc/cups/client.conf if you have one from persistence and reboot etc
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:47:32 AM by aus9 »

Offline athouston

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 04:47:09 AM »
Hi AUS9,

Thanks again.

from the top...

my tinycore workstation (192.168.0.22 dhcp) is connected direct to a gigabit switch by an ethernet cable.
my Kyocera FS1118mfp printer (192.168.0.24 static) is connected direct to the same gigabit switch by an ethernet cable and it uses 9100.
my internet firewall / router / modem (192.168.0.253 static) connects direct to this same gigabit switch by an ethernet cable.

All users on the internal network print from various applications, including web pages, to this network.
No-one outside of the internal network can print to the printer.

I have changed cupsd.conf to reflect listen 192.168.0.22:9100 and saved it.

I do not have a client.conf file.

usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf is in the included files list of backup and I have tested this successfully.

Offline athouston

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 05:31:39 AM »
I download onboot gutenprint and confirm it and cups are both onboot.

The grep commands you list report -
cups
cups-filters
libcups
libcups-filters
dbus
dbus is running
cups is running

Changing the listen entry to listen 192.168.0.22:9100 did not work. I changed it back to listen localhost:9100 and I can now open the admin screen.

I have added my printer and all is now well... I can print.

The last thing to fix then is how do I make the new root password persistent please.

aus9

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 05:57:41 AM »
good I won't ask you why did not like my suggestion earlier to use the actual static address, I promise I won't ask :D

Persistence part two
Okey dokey

Since we know a lot of people are printing here, it does make sense to have full persistence.

as per info file, add the following to your filetool.lst---we drop the first /
usr/local/etc/cups/ppd/
usr/local/etc/cups/printers.conf
usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf
etc/shadow

the order is not important, on reboot check the files exist pls

(b) When and if you decide to add your second printer, as I don't know what it is....(grins like a sheep) I may assume gutenprint or hplip-2.7 might supply the PPD for you.
---If you need the hplip-2.7 remember to add it as "onboot" download.

Although they supply a PPD.....they also supply a filter.....which is kind of the in between software to convert what you see on the screen into some kind of language understood by printers.

and then because you are adding a printer, you need the root password

it does not have to be the same password....but I am lazy and do keep the same one.

forgive me for sucking eggs.....choose an acronym style
Pretend you like a movie line
Give the Bag to Bozo....become GtBtB  add some sqiuggles especially $ symbol and the like, add some numbers

test it works before saving
sudo passwd
<new passwd> (repeat)
su tc
su
(test new password takes you to root)

#####
if you do add a second printer usr/local/etc/cups/ppd/ is a folder and on reboot you will see 2 PPDs so no action by you.
--This setting was first started by Juanito is smarter than me.

some people may not like you keeping the same password....so every so often you can change it, the backup system remember the files.

good luck

Offline athouston

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »
AUS9 (and everyone else), Thanks heaps. I now have a working printing system.

I did like your static address option and tried it, but without success. The actual IP address you suggested (192.168.0.24:9100) is the address of my printer and I took you literally and used that, but it did not work. I then considered that you were only using that as an example so I replaced it with my TC workstation address (192.168.0.22:9100) but again this did not work. I replaced this with localhost:9100 and all is well.

I have a Brother laser and a DELL colour laser to add. I checked the PPD's list and the Brother is supported but I haven't checked the DELL yet; but I'll have to let you leave me something to do.

;D ;D ;D :P ;D

aus9

Re: (Solved) Re: Cups can't access admin screen
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 04:41:42 PM »
no worries.

Now with my hp setup us as a wireless with a static address, I can get into its config panel thru a browser pointing to
http://192.168.1.200/

my static address.

Maybe, you could try yours, when you get a chance, 192.168.0.24

It would be handy to know if you have got in before on another OS or distro.

What I did was to set up my static outside my router's DHCP range of ips. But I am not an expert.

I also at one stage set up a MAC filter to lock my mac to an ip. I am wondering if .22 is your start range if some one has grabbed .24 because it might be in your DHCP range?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:46:13 PM by aus9 »

Offline athouston

Re: (Solved) Re: Cups can't access admin screen
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 09:04:21 PM »
I did try the static addresses of 192.168.0.24 (my printer) and 192.68.0.22 (this TC workstation - the one we are working this problem on) but to no avail. Both caused it to stop working. I don't have another distro to try, my iMac is in for a replacement hard drive (Apple recall - back tomorrow they tell me) and the other machines are all Windows based workstations or servers.

My printer address is static and specifically excluded from distribution in my DHCP server. Therefore no-one else can grab it. If they did somehow do that I would see an address conflict error and both they, and the printer, would stop working; none of which happened. My workstation is dynamic but the same argument holds true. I have also physically checked all other devices to make sure.

Your idea of setting your printer static address outside your DHCP range is the "normal" way to do it. You would setup a DHCP range of (say) 192.168.0.33 to 192.168.0.240, allocating the bottom 32 as static entries for servers, NAS, printers, etc and the top 15 as static for routers, comm's etc.

Your idea of locking your iMac IP address to a MAC address is also valid. You would usually use this technique when setting up printers on the network so that a printer gets a dynamically assigned static address (excuse the recursive argument). This saves you having to physically manage static IP addresses on devices that change more often. This is also very handy when setting up printers for 40 stores in remote locations connected over a VPN.

Please excuse me if this sounds like a tutorial - networking is my area of expertise.

Since we last "spoke" I have successfully also setup flashplayer  and sound support so I can play youtube video's. I'm getting there.

Be well and thanks again for all your help.