WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tcv2-orc2  (Read 3327 times)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
tcv2-orc2
« on: May 16, 2009, 12:11:22 PM »
...initially booted to a blank screen, with rt click menus available....but no terminal. I  was able to get icons on the bottom by installing emelfm and it's dependencies (added file.tce and tff-bitstream).  Thanks for the jwm option,though,
because I couldn't figure out how to minimize, move windows around, refresh the wm, etc.......
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 12:13:20 PM by jpeters »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: tcv2-orc2
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
You should test by booting base norestore nolocal otherwise your existing .xsession says to use a non-existent jwm window manager.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 12:20:17 PM »
I'll try that ...but HEY.....SKYPE WORKS!!!!   HUGS AND KISSES!!! :D

oops.....I loaded skype.tce but ran my own script  (wine skype).  Oh well....hugs and kisses anyway  :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 01:28:11 PM by jpeters »

Offline meo

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 02:06:58 PM »
Hi!

I'm trying the new rc and finally got it all together. It works nice but from an aesthetical point of view I prefer jwm as the default window manager. Just my point of view. Nice work though and really appreciated.

Have fun,
meo 
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline philip

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 11:01:28 PM »
I am delighted with this new release candidate. The new window manager is thought-provoking: my head likes it already, and my heart will soon catch up.

Offline mcewanw

Re: tcv2-orc2: FLWM for tc1.x too?
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 07:48:45 PM »
I'd like to see a TC 1.x with FLWM as the default wm too since it is so nice and light

EDIT: I am missing the taskbar clock though... and opening a terminal and entering 'date' is too much effort.

A tiny, always on top, clock would do (even better if it would show the date when hovering the mouse over it); any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:50:56 AM by mcewanw »

Offline mcewanw

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 04:59:19 AM »
Well, after one days usage of the new tc2.0rc2, I am beginning to change my mind about FLWM. I do like the way it uses screen real-estate, but a few what may appear minor niggles are really irritating me about it at the moment:

1. No taskbar clock (with time and date)
2. No quick way of dropping to the desktop
3. Since no taskbar, there is no way to add little buttons to start up other applications (I loved that JWM taskbar feature).

In other words, I really miss the taskbar...

I have a feeling new users are not going to like FLWM compared to JWM and I'm kind of worried that JWM will not be maintained properly any more (alas, I cannot offer to take on that task).

There are certainly many things I do like about FLWM, but I also want a taskbar (though I recognise that a taskbar is a waste of space if permanently on-top and useless when covered up...)!

Some kind of tiny, floating, always on top (perhaps) taskbar would be great along with FLWM.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 05:01:39 AM by mcewanw »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 05:18:52 AM »
A JWM extension will be maintained, I will do it if no one else does.  Don't worry.