WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Newbie here - Cups problem  (Read 7610 times)

Offline dlw

Newbie here - Cups problem
« on: May 15, 2009, 07:13:17 AM »
Hi all, newbie here.
Linux USER since 98. I am not a techie.
I am a writer/photographer retired.

Really like the concept of Tiny Core Linux.
Install went okay. Obtaining persistence did not. I think I have it now.

Trying to get a HP2300dn printer up and running.
Installed hplip and cups.
Clicked on Cups, did the password thing, went to localhost:631
When it came to username and password I did not know what it wanted so I tried 'user'.
Entered the password and I get a blank white page.
When I enter 'root' and the password it will not accept it. Goes back to enter name and password again.

Any ideas on how to solve this?
Thanks,
dlw

Offline 3rail

Re: Newbie here - Cups problem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 09:49:47 AM »
funny, I've been struggling the last few days trying to set up my hp laserjet 1100 under tc 142 connected via the parallel port.  I don't have all the answers yet, but I'm close to getting it working across reboots.

I got past the issue you're talking about by

0.  downloading the ppd for my printer from http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1100
1.  setting a root pw
2.  installing cups
3.  installing hpijs_hpoj
4.  opening a root console, running ptal-init setup and answering all the questions
5.  http://localhost:631
6.  add a printer
7.  cups should list your printer in its dropdown, "ptal" something
8.  select the ppd you downloaded for your printer
9.  print test page

I used to get the prompt for the password over and over in cups (even after I'd set the root pw) until I saw my printer listed as (something like) ptal:hp1100 in the cups port selection dropdown

tricky parts for surviving a reboot (remember, I don't have it all solved yet, my current problem is that cups fails to remember the driver: raw vs ghostscript)

add to /opt/.filetool.lst

the files in
1. etc/ptal
2. the files mentioned in the info for cups
3. etc/shadow (for saving root pw)

add to /opt/bootlocal.sh

/path/to/cupsd &
/path/to/ptal-init start &

I'm pretty sure the /path/to/ stuff isn't necessary as of tc 1.4.1

hth,

3rail

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 07:19:17 PM »
There's a ppd extension with all of the printer drivers supplied by hp in the hplip application - if your printer ppd is in there, you might find it's a more recent driver.

I never managed to get ptal to persist across boots, so if you managed that, well done  :)

I've seen problems with the password not being accepted the second and subsequent times the browser interface asks for it - as you might have seen, the cups menu item/icon will prompt for the user password and set things up properly. I think the problem happens after stopping and starting the cups service.

Offline storckm

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 11:44:58 AM »
I've been having printer problems as well.  I have a HP D4160.  I've installed hpijs_hpoj, hplip, hplip_ppd, and cups.  According to HP website, the printer has partial support, and I have it working well enough with Xubuntu.
However, when I run:

sudo ptal-init setup,

I get:

*** Found "Deskjet D4100 series" but failed to communicate with it!

When I run hp-setup, it detects the printer, then says:

error: No PPD found for model deskjet_d400.  Trying old algorithm...
   warning: found multiple posible PPD files

Choose a PPD file that most closely matches your device:
   [blah, blah, blah  .  .  .]

but instead of listing any options, it says:

____  ______________________  ____________________
   AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'keys'

Did I miss a step?
What should I try next?

Thanks,

M. Storck
IBM Thinkpad R52, pentium M, 1.73GHz, 1Gb RAM.
I've used linux for a year and a bit. I started with Puppy, have tried Zenwalk and Xubuntu. I'm currently using TC 2.10rc1, Puppy, Crunchbang, and Slackware.
Primary use: document editing.
Also internet, movies, music, midi.

Offline Guy

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 01:19:48 PM »
Here is how to set up Tiny Core for a printer.

It is a different model, but you may find useful info.

/printer.html][removed due to policy violation]/printer.html
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:18:13 AM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 09:37:43 PM »
I believe you need either hpijs_hpoj or hplip but not both - also you don't mention if you installed the various dependency extensions, usb-utils, gs, perl5, etc

If you have the space, it would probably be better to use hplip rather than hpijs_hpoj and rather than hp-setup, use the cups browser interface to setup the printer.

Offline 3rail

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 07:10:47 AM »
storckm,

Are you using the parallel port to print to the printer?  If so, in my experience, the parallel port must be set to "ecp" in the bios.

good luck

Offline storckm

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 07:35:06 AM »
Thanks for the help.
I've been working on this slowly: I do have usb-utils, gs, perl5, and (as far as I know) other dependencies installed.  Also, it's a USB printer.
The instructions at [removed] .  .  .   are helpful, and I've gotten as far as copying everything from printertemp, but I haven't been able to find anything called  printertemp.  Any idea where to find printertemp?
I've used linux for a year and a bit. I started with Puppy, have tried Zenwalk and Xubuntu. I'm currently using TC 2.10rc1, Puppy, Crunchbang, and Slackware.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 07:47:17 AM »
Which extension are you using - as mentioned, it can be either hpijs_hpoj or hplip but not both - i.e. "hp-setup" will not work with hpijs_hpoj.

If you get an error message from "sudo ptal-init setup", I would recommend you reboot and try with hplip and not hpijs_hpoj.

You can check if hplip is communicating with your printer with this command:
Code: [Select]
$ /usr/local/lib/cups/backend/hp

Offline Guy

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 10:48:16 AM »
The instructions at [removed] .  .  .   are helpful, and I've gotten as far as copying everything from printertemp, but I haven't been able to find anything called  printertemp.  Any idea where to find printertemp?

The website http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi contains Linux drivers for many printers. However, they are available as deb or rpm files. They cannot be used  in Tiny Core as they are.

The method used in that example, was to use a Debian operating system to extract the deb file. You need to create the folder printertemp yourself (you could use any name). Copy the deb file to the folder, and extract the printer driver.

After extracting the printer driver, copy the printer driver (in the folder printertemp) to Tiny Core, and set up the printer.

Different people have different makes and models of printers. The driver for their printer is probably available from that website. There may be some differences in the setup of different makes and models of printers, but much of it should be similar.

As time permits (I also have other commitments), I plan to experiment with other methods of extracting the printer driver. It should be possible using Tiny Core. I just have not had time to try it.

I also want to experiment with other printers (I don't have many printers).

Then update the website.

If the driver for your printer is in a Tiny Core extension (not many makes are), you can skip that whole section, and just set up the printer. You still need to set up a root password first.

Those who have a printer working with Tiny Core, share your setup information. This will help new users to setup printers.

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1829.0
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline storckm

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 07:52:14 AM »
Thanks.  I'm using hplip, which is supposed to work with the printer and (as far as I can tell) includes the driver.  I downloaded a .ppd file, since I didn't find any separate drivers to download.  When I try to open the localhost:631, I get an error: could not connect to remote server message from the browser.  This wasn't happening before.
Also, if I try:
/usr/local/lib/cups/backend/hp
I get:
direct hp "Unknown" "HP Printer (HPLIP)"
and hp-setup says:
Using connection type: usb
error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.
I can't figure out what is missing.  Before I had both hplip and hpijs-hpojs installed.  I re-installed hpijs-hpojs. no difference.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 09:14:29 AM »
According to this http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/combined.html your printer is supported by hplip and the ppd /usr/local/share/ppd/HP/hp-deskjet_d4100_series-hpijs.ppd.gz in the hplip_ppd extension looks like it might be the right one.

It's strange that /usr/local/lib/cups/backend/hp gives "direct hp "Unknown" "HP Printer (HPLIP)"", did you double-check that you have all of the cups and hplip deps loaded, i.e.

glib2, expat2, openssl-0.9.8h, dbus_glib, dbus_python, python, usb-utils, cups, gs, perl5

I'm not totally sure if it is needed, but did the "usblp" module load?

Offline storckm

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 10:13:12 AM »
All of the deps were installed (or at least listed in /tclocal/tce.installed) except dbus_python.  After installing that, hp-setup and cups are still behaving the same way.  The usblp module is loaded.  I may try running from a cd (although I'll run out of RAM soonish), or else perhaps I should re-install?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 03:18:26 AM »
I use cups+hplip+samba on tc_1.x, so I thought there might be a problem with using some extensions - cups/hplip/usb-utils - that were not compiled on tc_2.x with tc_2.x, but it seems things are OK:
Code: [Select]
$ sudo /usr/local/lib/cups/backend/hp
direct hp:/usb/OfficeJet_K80?serial=ES0911401VOH "HP OfficeJet K80"
 "HP OfficeJet K80 USB ES0911401VOH HPLIP" "MFG:HP;MDL:OfficeJet K80;CLS:PRINTER;DES:OfficeJet K80;SN:ES0911401VOH;"

maybe it's worth ignoring the usb error and trying to set up your printer manually with the cups browser interface. Don't use "hp-setup", but you could try and see what "hp-probe" gives:

1. load all of the extensions listed in the previous post
2. click on the hplip icon to start things up (then try "hp-probe")
3. start browser and goto http://localhost:631
4. click on "add printer" button and follow instructions
5. enter a uri of the form "hp:/usb/DeskJet_D4160?serial=SGG13E0C49VL" (enter your serial # here)
6. choose the ppd /usr/local/share/ppd/HP/hp-deskjet_d4100_series-hpijs.ppd.gz
7. click on "print testpage" button to test

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 07:26:25 PM »
I just tried cups (haven't tried in a while) on tc_2.2, and had problems accessing a windows printer using samba & cups. Samba seemed to be working okay, because it was included in the cups dropdown menu.  I entered the correct smb:// info,  selected the given deskjet (for hp), and clicked "add printer."  This opens up a dialog box for username, password for cups, localhost 631...which means somethings not configured right (it won't accept anything). 

I tried from puppy linux, and the printer was already listed when going to "manage printers" ; worked right away. 

note: smb_client even lists the windows printer. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:37:09 PM by jpeters »