WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Dial up Broadband connection  (Read 2439 times)

Offline badhon_raj

Dial up Broadband connection
« on: April 17, 2013, 01:34:04 AM »
So here I'm again with a new problem.
I've got wired broadband connecton that needs me to input username and password and then dial.
How do I connect in tinyCore?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Dial up Broadband connection
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 01:41:30 AM »
That sounds like you're describing a dial-up connection or is it adsl and/or fibre (in which case you would enter the usrname/password in your router)?

Offline badhon_raj

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 01:55:56 AM »
That sounds like you're describing a dial-up connection or is it adsl and/or fibre (in which case you would enter the usrname/password in your router)?
fiber connection, but no router or modem for me. I've just got this RJ45 plug that I hook up in RJ45 port then click connect (in windows)

sorry I'm kinda noob at networking
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 02:00:00 AM by badhon_raj »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 03:09:07 AM »
That sounds similar to my setup.

The fibre connection comes into the house then into a box that converts from fibre to ethernet, which is connected to my router.

As mentioned above, in my case, the username/password are entered in the router - I'm not sure how you would go about making the connection if you were connected directly without a router.

Offline badhon_raj

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 04:54:16 AM »
That sounds similar to my setup.

The fibre connection comes into the house then into a box that converts from fibre to ethernet, which is connected to my router.

As mentioned above, in my case, the username/password are entered in the router - I'm not sure how you would go about making the connection if you were connected directly without a router.

Well I really don't know. I enter username and pass in windows as you see in screenshot. I've no router/switch/modem in my room. they just gave me a line which I enter in rj45 port. that's all I know.
What do I need to know to connect in tinyCore?

This is how I create connection in windows
From Network and Sharing Center n Control Panel
1. Set up a new connection
2. Connect to internet

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:09:25 AM by badhon_raj »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 06:00:11 AM »
Purely speculating here, but if it's some gateway-less pppoe connection, you might want to have a look at the pppoe.tcz extension and also use 'pppoe' as a search term in search feature of this forum.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:05:22 AM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

aus9

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 08:01:16 PM »
badhon_raj

the images are good, but not Linux friendly.....giggles

Assuming your TinyCore is booting up ok how about showing us your hardware in linux terms

I am guessing you have a modem in your computer but show the output of this command pls

Code: [Select]
lspci -vv

that is 2 Vs not one w

good luck

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:32:06 PM »
Hi aus9
I am guessing you have a modem in your computer but show the output of this command pls
The OP mentioned an RJ45 jack, which would suggest a network card.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 09:06:28 PM »
AFAIK, the term "RJ45" is equally misused for phone and ethernet jacks (different in size).

Perhaps easiest to just contact ISP and ask what protocol is used for connection in question so we could all stop poking in the mist  ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:12:50 PM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)