WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: how to maintain persistence in bootlocal.sh when using only a USB flash drive.  (Read 2816 times)

Offline med458

Hello, I have looked all over and done some research and can't answer my question.
I have a computer, booting with just a 2GB USB flash disk, with an older version of TC installed on that flash disk.
My goal is to make permanent changes to /opt/bootlocal.sh.
What I have tried is follows:

1) boot computer
2) right click, go to "system tools", load mount tool
3) mount sda1 (the flash disk itself)
4) cd /mnt/sda1/boot/
5) mkdir extract
6) sudo sh
7) cd extract
8) zcat ../tinycore.gz | cpio -i -H newc -d
9) editor opt/bootlocal.sh (make changes, then save and exit editor)
10) rm ../tinycore.gz
11) find | cpio -o -H newc | gzip >../tinycore.gz
12) reboot

After all this, I find that bootlocal.sh is the same 2-line file as always.  I uncompress my modified tinycore.gz file to find that the changes I made to bootlocal.sh do in fact remain in the gz file, after remastering and reboot.  However, that bootlocal.sh file does not appear to get used?  My guess is that this /opt/bootlocal.sh file is coming from some other place.  I would like to get at that genuine bootlocal.sh file that is used to make permanent changes to bootlocal.sh.  If anyone has suggestions, I would be grateful.  Thank you in advance.

PS: I am taking safety precautions, such as backing up tinycore.gz before overwriting it.  The distilled steps above are just to show what I did without writing too much.  Those are not the exact 12 steps I do, just shortened for the reader's benefit.

Offline tinypoodle

It could be overwritten from restoring backup, in case you haven't excluded such yet.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline med458

Thank you for trying to help me.

I am very embarrassed.  Perhaps you might have a laugh.

Another possible explanation is that after I created the USB-HDD install from my TC CDROM, I failed to remove the CDROM from the drive.  I did not realize each time I was booting from the CDROM!!!  I forgot it was in there.  The USB drive kept flashing so I was fooled by that lol!!