WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: (closed) multiboot extlinux with KERNEL and INITRD to 2 different places: howto?  (Read 5583 times)

Offline floppy

Hello,
I am tuning my extlinux.conf for starting another OS.
This is a SD card:
- boot partition ext2
- second partition FAT32
So, how to setup that textlinux.conf for making booting the kolibri.img with INITRD? (see below).
I dont know how to make INITRD searching on another partition, different from the boot partition. The reason why I want that kolibri.img on that FAT32 is: kolibrios.org can write new kolibri.img on FAT32 partitions (and save the setups), where it can only read ext2 partitions (= cannot write kolibri.img on it =setups cannot be saved).
Any help is welcome.
THIS IS NOT a tinycore specific topic, only extlinux specific.
Code: [Select]
#
LABEL core4 fonic/lan/xorg/de stellite peter
MENU LABEL core4 fonic/lan/xorg/de stellite peter
KERNEL /boot/core4/vmlinuz
APPEND quiet showapps pause nozswap kmap=qwertz/de waitusb=5:UUID="cc9e97b9-67de-4e85-8f80-750a7d0f8841" tce=UUID="cc9e97b9-67de-4e85-8f80-750a7d0f8841"/tce4 lst=setxorg.lst mydata=setdata
initrd /boot/core4/core.gz
#
LABEL kolibrios
MENU LABEL kolibrios
kernel /boot/diverse/memdisk
initrd /?wheretogo?/kolibri.img
TEXT HELP
kolibri is on sdb2 (sdb1 is the boot partition)
ENDTEXT
#

[EDIT]: Added code tags. Rich
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:54:43 AM by floppy »
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
You should be asking the kolibrios folks.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Hi floppy
Please make use of code tags when posting the contents of files. It's the button with the # sign on it.

Offline tinypoodle

I dont know how to make INITRD searching on another partition, different from the boot partition. The reason why I want that kolibri.img on that FAT32 is: kolibrios.org can write new kolibri.img on FAT32 partitions (and save the setups), where it can only read ext2 partitions (= cannot write kolibri.img on it =setups cannot be saved).
Are you sure that all plays any role when specifying memdisk as kernel?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline floppy

sorry, I dont understand.

With grub, it works. I have to put in menu.lst something like (from memory, probably not the correct syntax)
# distro on first partition
(hd 0,0)
kernel ..
initrd ..
# distro on second partition
(hd 0,1)
kernel ..
initrd ..
And I was searching such a method in extlinux.
The new though I have now, is a workaround: start grub from extlinux for using that parameter setting I have already working in grub.

P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline tinypoodle

sorry, I dont understand.
That the filesystem from which an image is loaded with memdisk might not be of any relevance for the OS (though for the bootloader it might).
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

aus9

ok I can see why your kolibrios partition is fat32
What File Systems are supported?
Read/Write: FAT16, FAT32, FAT12 (floppy only)

but honestly, sorry for casting opinion but fat32 is dinosaur technology

since you know grub legacy works, why can't you make grub legacy your boot loader for TC and and kolibrios?
you could use all of your append line to append to the kernel grub legacy line

I guess you may like to add lang=de?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 04:34:48 AM by aus9 »

Offline floppy

So, I use the quickest way = I putted the kolibrios.img on the ext2 boot partition (same as per memdisk) and I start it with initrd.
The workaround is:
- I save a kolibri.img (with new setups) on a FAT32 partition (it cannot be saved on ext2 or ext4)
- I copy that kolibri.img from the FAT32 on the ext2 back (now with my DE keyboard setup)
I personally recommend a try with that OS:
- tetris
- snake
-.. old fashioned games which are soooo nice. A very good thing I will show around me.
It is now on my SD card for use in train and spare time.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:57:07 AM by floppy »
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed