WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: filetool-ignores.lst proposal to keep mydata.tgz slim & beauty...  (Read 4696 times)

Offline pioj

Hi!  my filetool.sh -d  command currently tells me:

• Without chromium-browser.scm installed, mydata.tgz is less than 1 MB.
  • Having chromium installed enlarges the file up to 4 MB. That's because of some files placed into your home directory.

In my case, I only have the bare minimum to run chromium-browser.scm under Xvesa & JWM-snapshot. 

I know you guys are still dealing with these cases in many ways so I'd wish to help you too by proposing another solution.

What about having a blacklist.lst or similar that work along filetool.sh ?  Similar to what modprobe does to ignore some modules, you know...

I think it's a cleaner approach that having to customize filetool.sh or to write additional scripts doing similar tasks...

BTW,  Chromium files are related to 'Bloom anti-malware' stuff I don't want to mess with atm... Exclude them or just unmount chromium before every filetool.sh backup seems enough for me...

Offline tinypoodle

Re: filetool-ignores.lst proposal to keep mydata.tgz slim & beauty...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:33:41 AM »
How would that differ from /opt/.xfiletool.lst ?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline althalus

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 02:43:17 PM »
web browsers can blow out your backup by way more than a mere 4 MB if they write their caches to your home directories. As tinypoodle has already mentioned, look at .xfiletool.lst. This is exactly what that file is intended for.

Offline netnomad

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:48:29 PM »
hi pioj,

there is no doubt that
/opt/.xfiletool.lst is the first tool to keep your backup-file slim & beauty...

but for programs like browsers and mail-clients i use an different approach:
for firefox (and its clones) and thunderbird i use a standarized file-set that is loaded everytime and i don't backup the "exploded, used" directory. only in thunderbird i backup the popstate.dat that logs all previous downloaded mails to prevent the download of old mails. from time to time i adjust some config files of my standard-file-set for my convience and for getting ahead in terms of development and security.
with this standard-file-set i keep my backup at tiny 1,3 mb with endless configuration files and individual scripts for almost every program and tool i need for my daily life (although some plugins take more than 1 mb)...

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:34:50 PM by netnomad »

Offline pioj

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 01:57:32 AM »
Thx a lot. I thought the 'x' was related to X11 and not 'xclude' , hah...

Has anyone ever tried to patch an extension with an external file? Maybe it's a simpler solution rather than having to save your changes to a .tgz file everytime...

Oh, btw Is there a way to choose .tar for mydata  instead of .tgz? I read something about that at the forums...

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:21:21 AM »
Has anyone ever tried to patch an extension with an external file? Maybe it's a simpler solution rather than having to save your changes to a .tgz file everytime...
Sounds more complex in my understanding, not more simple...
And you seem to mix up backup and extensions, different formats.

Oh, btw Is there a way to choose .tar for mydata  instead of .tgz? I read something about that at the forums...
A patch - unsupported - has been posted to this forum recently ;)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)