WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [Solved] TC w/ ISOLINUX and DVD+R DL not booting  (Read 4122 times)

Offline nim108

[Solved] TC w/ ISOLINUX and DVD+R DL not booting
« on: December 21, 2012, 06:38:08 AM »
So in short, my goal is to make a dual layer recovery DVD (therefore, obviously bootable) that will use Ghost to restore the image on the disc (which will be ~8 GB). I figured the easiest way to do this was to take the default, latest TC iso (4.2.1), expand it to support 8.5 GB from the default 650/700 MB, and convert the file system to UDF from Joliet/ISO9660 to support files > 4 GB. I did this all in UltraISO since all it takes is a couple of clicks, and since the software explicitly states it is compatible with V3/V4 of Syslinux. I think converting the file system to UDF breaks the bootable component of ISOLINUX, however, because when I insert this disc, I now get a ISOLINUX line on screen followed by an "Error: No configuration file found" and it simply sits there.

What is the easiest way to convert the default TC iso to support 8.5 GB and files greater than 4 GB? I tried not to use Linux tools because I am not familiar with growisofs, which I think is necessary for dual layer DVDs in Linux.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:58:43 AM by nim108 »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: TC w/ ISOLINUX and DVD+R DL not booting
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 06:51:48 AM »
Please don't use those ISO editors. They often break everything, as you found out. Use the native mkisofs command to create the iso.

man mkisofs says it supports files over 4gb with the "-iso-level 3" option, even without UDF.

So you'd either add that argument, or tell mkisofs to use UDF. The normal command line used to create TC isos is in the wiki, on the remastering page.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline nim108

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 08:49:36 AM »
Please don't use those ISO editors. They often break everything, as you found out. Use the native mkisofs command to create the iso.

man mkisofs says it supports files over 4gb with the "-iso-level 3" option, even without UDF.

So you'd either add that argument, or tell mkisofs to use UDF. The normal command line used to create TC isos is in the wiki, on the remastering page.
Thanks, I thought I'd need to use growisofs. I will try using the mkisofs command as suggested on the remastering page with the -iso-level 3 option. I must have overlooked this option. Will test this later today.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 08:55:05 AM »
It worked fine here, I did a quick test with an iso with a 7gb file. Note that if you're on some other distro, you probably need the correct version of mkisofs (Schilling's, not the Debian fork cdrkit).

Offline genec

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 03:46:09 PM »
Please also note that ISOLINUX itself likely won't be able to use large files for a kernel/initrd as there's currently a 4GiB memory address limit.  I believe the rest of the core of Syslinux also won't support large files but I can't be certain.

Offline nim108

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »
Thanks curaga, didn't get a chance to try it yet with the holidays in full swing, but I will try it at work shortly this week. Can you show me the exact command you used so I can try to replicate it at work? I believe the mkisofs version in the Ubuntu repos is the Schilling version.

genec, that's not a problem, the ghost image (the file that is ~8 GB) will sit outside the initrd.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 09:04:46 AM »
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:remastering

mkisofs -l -J -R -V TC-custom -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin \
 -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -o TC-remastered.iso \
-iso-level 3 newiso

Offline nim108

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 10:52:24 AM »
Finally got this working after days of headache. The included version in Ubuntu is actually NOT the Schilling version. To get the proper version, go to ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/, download the latest release, compile it, and use the mkisofs generated there. Now, both ISOLINUX and files > 4GB are working fine. Just tested restoring my image with Ghost and it worked flawlessly. Thanks curaga.