WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Flash setup  (Read 42503 times)

Offline caminati

• Homepage
Re: Flash setup
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2013, 02:52:30 AM »
The reason I'm curious is because HTML5 is not working for me either in tc  - have no audio :(

Maybe you are using OSS.tcz and not alsa.tcz?
Firefox doen't support OSS on HTML5, and things aren't gonna change, sadly.
alsa is too bloated for my tastes, so I resort to flash, usually either downloading it via a very good python script (youtube-dl) and converting, or using flash plugin.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2013, 03:13:46 AM »
Unfortunately I have issues with Alsa not properly detecting and fully supporting my audio card.  H'mmm  was thinking of updating my audio card, maybe this is a good reason to go shopping.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:29:00 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2013, 03:14:46 AM »
alsa is too bloated for my tastes, so I resort to flash

So, alsa is bloated and flash is not  :o

aus9

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2013, 03:35:50 AM »
coreplayer2

and sorry for the hijack, and have you considered using a model=string to let alsa do its business?

Offline Yleisajattelija

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2013, 07:47:20 AM »
Ok, I tried to use various Finnish proxies, but unable to reach the video through  them, so cannot test.

I can make tests, if needed.

I think thas probably not big help, because I don't know .scm format internals.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2013, 08:42:51 AM »

It did last I checked, but it's a compile-time switch only.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2013, 11:50:51 AM »
I can make tests, if needed.

I think thas probably not big help, because I don't know .scm format internals.

One test would be to use the tcz version of flash and firefox/opera, and that would tell if it is an issue specific to the scm format.  Though I don't believe the issues of those videos has anything to do with the fact the browser and flash are scms.

Offline caminati

• Homepage
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2013, 06:36:06 AM »
So, alsa is bloated and flash is not  :o

Agreed, I phrased my thought badly: I meant that, referring to youtube, I prefer downloading+converting rather than loading alsa xor flash.

Sometimes, yes, I even use flash11.tcz without alsa, which is perverse because flash is closed and even more bloated; however, most of flash11.tcz.dep are typically already loaded when I do that, and tce-load -i alsa is sooo slow, and anyway flash is needed for some other websites...
It is a dreadful combination of laziness and hostile www.

It did last I checked, but it's a compile-time switch only.

Curaga, do you have references for that?
What makes me pessimistic about WebM + OSS4 in firefox is the following:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=574363
I would be glad to learn about compile-time switches to enable OSS.

Another possibility is using alsa with OSS backend; this would make sense, however, only if that reduced the bloat. With current tcz dependencies, this is not the case (tce-size gives something like 6 Mb): it would be interesting to study whether the dependencies can be slimmed down (this has already been the case for other extensions).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:47:40 AM by caminati »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2013, 03:48:17 PM »
No links at hand, but your link mentions the file to edit/dir to check out. It wasn't a configure switch, you had to go and edit the included sound lib to use OSS instead of ALSA. It's limited that way (only one backend, compile-time decision).

I haven't built Firefox in a long while, so this may not apply to the latest version (which is probably something like Firefox 97564 by now).
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Yleisajattelija

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2013, 04:45:55 AM »
I don't know well TC and .tcz/-scm -history, but I read some old threads conserning alsa -problems in .tcz format.

Please, could someone tell details of that problem, because I will try to make .tcz package for sane backends.

I localized problems when compiling sources and only way to get it work was use "noharedlibraries" parameter when configured. That is not best way solve problems, becouse at the end there will be massive count of library copies on the system.

I don't se any particular problem with shared libraries on "/usr/lib" directory. why is so frightening issue at TC?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2013, 04:57:29 AM »
I don't se any particular problem with shared libraries on "/usr/lib" directory. why is so frightening issue at TC?

We're trying to make a separation between what comes with the base system in /usr/lib and what comes with extensions in /usr/local/lib.

Offline Yleisajattelija

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2013, 05:31:44 AM »
Separate? For what?

Original reasons for bin and lib code separation is that EPROM and SRAM memory types at different directories for easy mount on ancient machines. Nowdays it is utilized mostly for security purposes to isolate executable code.

"/lib" is for "/bin" and "/sbin'" staff and those should be for so for boot system (this is good to HD partition isolation for crash situations).

When system is up, there is no standard way to place shared libs. Usually not-boot-system system wide libraries for applications are on /usr/lib directory. And /usr/lib that always the place where system wide libs are looked for.

"/usr/local" -directory is typically used for local installation for network file systems including disk servers (usually local installations are made only for to reduce network traffic).

I think it is totally legal to use "/usr/local/lib" for TC but what that helps? Libs have to placed somewhere anyway and must be maintained anyway and  .tcz squahsfile system can track files where ever they are, I think.

So, what is The Advantage to get these extra troubles with "usr/local/lib" installation point?

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 05:38:09 AM by Yleisajattelija »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2013, 05:45:52 AM »
So, what is The Advantage to get these extra troubles with "usr/local/lib" installation point?

The advantage is that it is clear that everything under /usr is part of the base system and everything under /usr/local is part of an extension.

Only a very few apps, often poorly written, have problems with the above.

Offline Yleisajattelija

« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2013, 06:49:51 AM »
What about a lib which is used by apps and is already installed on "/usrlib"?

And what about a lib which is used by several apps, how it should be placed on "/usr/local/lib/"?

You need a library strategy and docs anyway to describe where those libs are.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2013, 07:25:29 AM »
What about a lib which is used by apps and is already installed on "/usrlib"?

And what about a lib which is used by several apps, how it should be placed on "/usr/local/lib/"?

You need a library strategy and docs anyway to describe where those libs are.

Strategy is already documented here:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

No need to reinvent the wheel ;)

Besides from that, I couldn't see how that would have anything to do with the topic "Flash setup"...
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)