WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: What shall i prepare for running uex on tinycore linux?thanks.  (Read 7349 times)

Offline aswjh

I try to run uex on tinycore linux,but get a popup message "unable to initialize license management layer",
What shall i prepare for running uex on tinycore linux?thanks.

[EDIT]: Removed two attachments due to probable forum policy violation.  Rich
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 09:40:09 PM by Rich »

Offline tinypoodle

Re: What shall i prepare for running uex on tinycore linux?thanks.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 08:42:03 PM »
Posting direct links to packages is not useful...
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 10:08:58 PM »
Hi aswjh
The links in your post were direct links to download commercial packages containing binaries, so I removed them.
I don't know which features of this package you are interested in, but have you looked at  geany? It has support for
may different programming, scripting, and markup languages, a sidebar that shows symbols and functions,
multiple tabs, and more. It's in the repository.

Offline aswjh

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 10:10:30 PM »
sorry :)

Offline aswjh

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 10:20:36 PM »
Hi aswjh
The links in your post were direct links to download commercial packages containing binaries, so I removed them.
I don't know which features of this package you are interested in, but have you looked at  geany? It has support for
may different programming, scripting, and markup languages, a sidebar that shows symbols and functions,
multiple tabs, and more. It's in the repository.

I am using geany now,i like it very much too,
but geany is not a hex editor,so try ultraedit for linux,
thanks

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 11:03:15 PM »
Hi aswjh
If a terminal based hex editor is acceptable, take a look at  hexedit. At 20K it's lightweight. The helpfile is not
included, and the three function keys don't work, at least on my machine, but there are control key alternatives.
It can open dev files according to the documentaion, should you wish to do sector editing, see:
http://linux.die.net/man/1/hexedit
If you are looking for something fancier, you might want to Google   linux hex editor   and try something that
was written to run under Linux, rather than something that was ported to Linux as an afterthought.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 12:10:37 AM »
Hi aswjh
I did a Google search on   linux hex editor fltk   and came across  mickey  on  sourceforge  here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mickey/files/mickey/mickey-0.1.13/
I downloaded and unpacked  mickey-0.1.13.linuxELFx86.tar.gz  into a test directory. It contains only one
executable called  mickey. Running  ldd ./mickey  showed  libstdc++.so.5  was missing. After installing
libstdc++-5.0.7.tcz  it came right up. Although I did not test it extensively, I did play with it a while. Even though
it has not been updated since 2004, it looks like a very nice program and showed no quirks that I could see.
A slightly clipped screen shot is attached.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 12:14:36 AM »
Midnight Commander can do hex editing.

Offline aswjh

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 01:12:32 AM »
Micky is very good,
thank you.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 01:39:07 AM »
Hi aswjh
You are welcome, I thought you might like it. I read a description on one site that mentioned a limitation on
file sizes, though they did not mention what that limit was. I used mickey to open the TC source tar ball which
weighs in at 44Mbytes, went to the end of the file, and found the size reported by mickey matched that reported
by ls. Please keep us apprised of your user experience with mickey, good or bad.

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 11:58:44 AM »
(mickey)

Hmmm... I'll bet that'd make a nice tcz...   ;D
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline aswjh

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 02:10:23 AM »
I found mickey can't search in hex column.
Mickey can open archlinux iso file(385M) sucessfully,but fail to open linuxmint(811M).

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 07:26:38 AM »

mc can.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 02:58:47 PM »
Hi aswjh
I downloaded the source package, and in the source file under todo it lists changing the meaning of  "Search"
between ASCII and hex depending on the active editing window. That said, you can search based on hex values,
though in a round about way. Click on  New, then  File->Save As  and create a dummy file. Enter your search value
in the hex column, highlight it with the mouse, copy with  Ctrl-C, select the tab of the file you want to search, and
paste (Ctrl-V) into the search field. Click  Search (or hit enter) and it will find it.
Mickey can open archlinux iso file(385M) sucessfully,but fail to open linuxmint(811M).
Mickey tries to allocate memory based on the file size to read the entire file into RAM. If you don't have enough
RAM, it will fail.
Although I still feel this is a nice program, I feel compelled to add that as a basic hex editor it is only 95% there.
Shortcomings, quirks, observations, etc.:
1. As mentioned above, hex searches should be better supported.
2. The cursor field should at the very least allow you to set the cursor position, though select and offset would be nice too.
3. If you click  New  and try to edit, it seg faults because a file name has not yet been assigned.
4. The source code has at least one instance of a pointer from a malloc call being passed to a read without checking it.
5. No undo implemented. Having at least one level of undo would be nice.
6. You can  Cut  and  Copy  from the ASCII and hex columns but not paste to them.
7. Resizing: Char, float, and double fields collide when reducing window width. Closing and restarting mickey fixes it.
                      Making the window unusably small causes the program to terminate with a "Floating point exception".
Features:
1. Tabs so you can open multiple files.
2. Supports insert and overwrite modes. Can also delete bytes.
3. The program remembers your preferred window size and position. Config file in ~/.fltk/matthiasm.com/
4. The byte the cursor is currently on is displayed in byte, word, dword, char, float, and double formats.
5. The cursor field can be displayed as hex or decimal.
6. The data1 field can be displayed as hex, binary, decimal, or octal, as well as big or little endian.
7. Has a clean and simple interface, exactly what one would want from a simple editor.

Those appear to be the basic highlights and lowlights of this program.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:07:48 PM by Rich »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 03:01:55 PM »
You know what this calls for Rich ;)

Abandoned app, one that you use, with clear itches - why not fork it and post mickey2 to sf.net with your fixes?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.