WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Odd behaviour on completion of app updates  (Read 3533 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Odd behaviour on completion of app updates
« on: August 17, 2012, 01:39:22 PM »
It struck me as odd that after the last selected item reports " OK "   has the process really completed?  If I terminate the App's program will I interrupt some incomplete process..?   Most other processes report task complete when finished, any chance of adding a job complete status  so we know when the job has actually completed please..??

Offline coreplayer2

Re: Odd behaviour on completion of app updates
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:46:59 PM »
Have noticed another peculiar issue with the apps program.   When selecting the item's for update the first item hangs for several seconds while the info page for that extension is downloaded, then the other items are easily selected without any delay.   If using a mouse to drag a box around all updatable items thereby selecting the items in one motion, the first item is never selected..  :|  I believ this is related to fetching the info file for the first item in the list.

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »
It was requested that when a single item is selected for update that its info file be displayed such that the user could make an informed decision whether to update or not.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 02:47:20 PM »
I can understand that thanks, but this is the result of trying to select several items at once.

There might have been good intention and i can see the benefits for the paranoid, but extension changes can easily be obtained by visiting the extensions info page or waiting for that information to be displayed in the updates page.  Main thing is the first item never gets selected neither gets downloaded and updated.  Yet the extensions between the first item and the last item selected never show their info files which allow prompt download and update as expected making the update a two stage process..

This is the result of selecting all items in the list, note the wifi extension does not get updated..!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:53:55 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 02:56:41 PM »
It would appear from your screen drop that wifi is not selected and therefore not updated.
I just tried this on my system forcing an update to be required on mirrors, rsync, and wifi.
All three were selectable and all three were updated. Sorry cannot reproduce with info provided.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 03:00:31 PM »
Back to the original post, note that the message "Scan for updates completed"  is displayed but not when updates have been completed, so the question is has the update process completed??

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 03:06:54 PM »
Roberts yes that is the point, wifi is not selected even though it was clicked on.  This is one method, a slow method I might add.   Alternatively a box drawn around all items with the mouse pointer is my preferred method. either way this is reproducible on each of my twenty to thirty machines running tc 

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 03:15:14 PM »
With this issue, each item in the update list can be selected, it just takes too long while waiting for the info file to be downloaded and displayed.  In the real world we don't have time for that, so we select them all and hit proceed, because we didn't wait for the info file the first item clicked on doesn't get selected and therefore doesn't get downloaded or updated.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 03:20:20 PM »
All three were selectable and all three were updated. Sorry cannot reproduce with info provided.

Yes, I understand.  this is because you have selected each item in the list one at once while pausing between each selection to show the info file.   next time try selecting all items at once..

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 08:31:54 PM »
I did not select each one.
Select the first one. While holding down the Shfit key select the last one.
All are selected. If there are blue they are selected.
Use the Ctrl key to unselect from the group selected.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
Well who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks!!   thanks, for the new technique (well, it's not exactly an old technique, I just wasn't expecting that).  That is one I would never have guessed..

Ok will try it and report back

thanks
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:17:48 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 10:16:55 PM »
Ok thanks that method does indeed select all items in the list,  I'll use this method from now on.

ok, so that you see my point, I'd like for you to try this method, which to me seems more intuitive since we already have our hand on the mouse after selecting to run " Updates ".

With APPS open and the updates feature already showing the update results.  In that window pane (listing the extension to update) click and hold a mouse button down anywhere below the update results, while still depressed move the cursor up until all the items in the list are selected.  Ok my point is, why isn't the first item in the list selected, whereas all the other items are selected??

it was just an inconvenience is all, but am glad there is one method to accomplish the task without having to resort to running update twice (which I've been doing for some time now).  One has to wonder how many others have been struggling with this trivial issue..

Meanwhile, what of the main item from the OP please..?  The one which does not inform the operator if the updates are complete.?  While you could say the last item reports OK  but that is not consistent with the other selections in APPS which usually report that the task has completed.

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 12:36:49 AM »
Using mouse only...
Click and hold left mouse button, drag mouse pointer down over items to be selected.
If there blue they are selected!

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 01:14:06 AM »
rofl       Windows vs Linux thing???   :P

For twenty years I've been doing this wrong?  I don't think so.....   Reasons may be habitual, but is standard procedure AFAIK and comes from clicking in the open pane first to release any previously selected items from a window manager's history to prevent accidentally causing some unintended action when clicked on.  For these reasons I could never be persuaded to click directly on an item which will subsequently be selected, even if in this case it works.  Using a variety of systems I find it better to use common methods for all systems.  otherwise life is hell...  I'll just stick with the Shift+mouse click thank you  at least that's standard.

:)

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 01:58:28 AM »
As for OP, I have added requested message. "Updates complete. Reboot to effect."