WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Live CD questions  (Read 1887 times)

Offline cg

Live CD questions
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:00:23 PM »
Hi gang!

So, I've got my live CD working, mostly - the custom scripts and extensions are on it, and they mostly behave.  Couplea questions:

1) Can I remove the "pick how you want to load TC" menu?  I want the CD to "just work", no user-intervention required.

2) Why am I having such difficulty getting TC to recognize a hard drive, when booted off a CD?  I went in and partitioned it with cfdisk, so in theory it should be 100% workable, but the CD's mount tool can't even see it, let alone mount it.  Is there a formatting option I'm missing?

3) I have TShark set to run at startup with a whole bunch of flags declared (the live CD is to make a sniffer out of any given machine).  On the full, installed-on-the-hard-drive copy I'm testing everything out on, this works fine - TShark launches, and stays launched, and records things like it's supposed to.  On the live CD, though, it launches, and then dies off right away.  Is this, by chance, due to the destination for the saved .cap files (i.e. the unmountable hard drive) not existing?

4) This one's a bit more esoteric - is there such a thing as a "run me to format your drive how I've been told to" app or script?  I know cfdisk is scriptable to some degree, but I want to make something that I can hand to a non-linux-user, say "run this", and it goes.

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Live CD questions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:33:02 PM »
1) Yes. See isolinux config file(s).

2) cfdisk is a partitioning tool. mount tool is relative to filesystems.

3) Not pertaining to base.

4) See 3)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline cg

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:55:56 PM »
2) cfdisk is a partitioning tool. mount tool is relative to filesystems.

So what am I not doing that I should be?  I've tried searching the apps database for a "format" app; no luck there.  "format" doesn't appear to be a valid command in the terminal... little help?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 12:58:37 PM »
You did not format your partitions. There is no single "format" tool, every file system has its own. See mkfs.*.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 01:23:55 PM »
Hint: you might be better off with gparted for a more universal approach - though it's functionality still depends on extensions installed. (...and I keep being offtopic for this subforum with this...)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)