WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Correct way to replace wireless-$KERNEL.tcz with compat-wireless-$KERNEL.tcz ?  (Read 3986 times)

Offline branular

Hello all,

I've installed the latest Tiny Core Plus with 3.0.21-tinycore KERNEL string to an old PII laptop. I need to replace the wireless-3.0.21-tinycore.tcz package with a newer compat-wireless.

I've tried the obvious method of launching 'Apps' and marking it for deletion, but there are 6 packages which explicitly depend on 'wireless-KERNEL.tcz' and this prevents me.

Do I have to leap in with a text editor and start modifying the .dep files now ? Or is there some other file-editing stuff I have to do ? It looks like there is no GUI method to do this.

I've seen a post or two about loading compat-wireless without removing wireless, but I've not seen any convincing documentation on the Wiki to let me know whether the first-loaded or last-loaded tcz takes precedence in the loop-n-link system used by the Mount Mode architecture.

If I load compat-wireless in 'Apps' on top of wireless, can I control the load order ? I can't see any menu entries in that program that allow this.

Can anyone document this pls ?

Offline tinypoodle

A possible approach would be to boot with "base", overwrite the existing extension and update the md5sum.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline branular

Pardon my noob-ness, but...

'Boot with base' ? I see no boot menu when the installed system starts up and the file extlinux.conf in /mnt/sda1/tce/boot/extlinux/ contains only a single KERNEL entry. How would I 'boot with base' ?

'overwrite'  ? you mean rename compat-wireless-3.0.21-tinycore.tcz as wireless-3.0.21-tinycore.tcz, right ? I can see how that would work and why the md5 would have to be updated.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll hold out for a slightly cleaner method, though. There must be one, surely ?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
FWIW, I don't see compat-wireless in the 4x repo, but I assume you know what you're doing.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
compat-wireless-3.2.5-1 compiled and works for me for b43 on tc-4.x

Offline tinypoodle

Pardon my noob-ness, but...

'Boot with base' ? I see no boot menu when the installed system starts up and the file extlinux.conf in /mnt/sda1/tce/boot/extlinux/ contains only a single KERNEL entry. How would I 'boot with base' ?

You should be able to add boot options to your boot loader, try search this forum - or see also syslinux wiki.

'overwrite'  ? you mean rename compat-wireless-3.0.21-tinycore.tcz as wireless-3.0.21-tinycore.tcz, right ? I can see how that would work and why the md5 would have to be updated.

Yes.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll hold out for a slightly cleaner method, though. There must be one, surely ?

Suggestion was meant as a quick and dirty hack for personal purposes only.
It would result in a false positive when using appsaudit's update function.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 02:52:17 PM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline branular

compat-wireless-3.2.5-1 compiled and works for me for b43 on tc-4.x

thanks for the tip. Just have to work out how to install it now. As Tinypoodle points out, the renaming strategy has downsides - not least me coming back to the system after several months, having forgotten that 'wireless' is actually now 'compat-wireless' and hilarity ensues.

I guess I can boot from a CD, mount sda1 and use edit/delete hacks - just like to know which.

Still looking for an explanation of whether the first-load or the last-load of competing filesystems will be the one in effect. Do I really have to somehow guess which position in the onboot.lst file a tcz has to be in for error-free operation ???

Offline branular

FWIW, I don't see compat-wireless in the 4x repo, but I assume you know what you're doing.

Not necessarily a safe assumption  ::)

I want to build a light system for monitor mode. Although aircrack-ng is in the 4.x repo, the patches to the wireless drivers and the mac80211 stack necessary for it to function correctly appear not to be - hence the need for building compat-wireless + patches from source.

Thanks.

Offline tinypoodle

For that purpose you should use airdriver-ng.

aircrack-ng as in repo does function correctly with compatible drivers as in repo.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Extensions do not overwrite existing files, so first to load dominates.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline branular

For that purpose you should use airdriver-ng.

Thanks for the pointer to this utility TP  - I had missed it entirely !

Reading the man page for airdriver-ng at the home site, it says it needs internet connectivity to download, compile and install the patched drivers, but this page

http://trac.aircrack-ng.org/ticket/438

indicates that this is impossible with wireless-only connections (they set the bug to 'wontfix').

The laptop I am using to build this system has no wired ethernet, so it's USB wireless ONLY - which means manual download/compile.

aircrack-ng as in repo does function correctly with compatible drivers as in repo.

Not for me, I'm afraid - the stock Core Plus with aircrack-ng from the 4.x repo errors out with the 'Channel -1' bug for a Ralink RT3070 USB stick - so something needs patching somewhere - which is why I asked the question in the OP. lsmod shows that rt2800usb is loading, as expected.

Offline branular

Extensions do not overwrite existing files, so first to load dominates.

So putting compat-wireless-$KERNEL.tcz as the _first_ entry in onboot.lst is the way to go then.

Thanks for that  :D

Offline tinypoodle

Reading the man page for airdriver-ng at the home site, it says it needs internet connectivity to download, compile and install the patched drivers, but this page

http://trac.aircrack-ng.org/ticket/438

indicates that this is impossible with wireless-only connections (they set the bug to 'wontfix').

The laptop I am using to build this system has no wired ethernet, so it's USB wireless ONLY - which means manual download/compile.

First time to hear about this, I never happened to run into such an issue,so I'd suggest you just try ;)

Not for me, I'm afraid - the stock Core Plus with aircrack-ng from the 4.x repo errors out with the 'Channel -1' bug for a Ralink RT3070 USB stick - so something needs patching somewhere - which is why I asked the question in the OP. lsmod shows that rt2800usb is loading, as expected.

My statement was in direct response to your post before that - not to be taken out of context.
That just means that your (stock) driver might not be compatible - and that's what airdriver-ng is used for.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:45:13 PM by tinypoodle »