WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Truecrypt Dismount problem  (Read 5017 times)

Offline jackrnm

Truecrypt Dismount problem
« on: July 14, 2012, 08:18:30 PM »
Hello
I am a relatively Newbe to Tiny Core Linux and I have been having trouble dismounting an encrypted container file created with Truecrypt.
Dismounting from the truecrypt gui fails with this error report: “Device-mapper: remove ioctl failed: Device or resource busy. Command failed”
I then try to dismount manually; first, by identifying the associated loop with “losetup -a | grep /home/tc/container” (where “container” is my encrypted container file) and then by entering “umount /dev/loopX”
The output of the umount  command is: “umount: /dev/loopX is not mounted (according to mtab)”. When I go to the truecrypt gui and try again to dismount via the dismount button, I get the same device-mapper error message.
Some times (rarely) “umount /dev/loopX does not give any message and when I go to the truecrypt gui and hit “Dismount" button the device-mapper error message is not displayed and the the encrypted container file is dismounted properly.

Can anyone give me some suggestions what to try to get a proper dismount from the truecrypt gui? I can dismount by rebooting the tiny core but this is not very satisfactory.
Truecrypt.tcz was installed along with Nautilus.tcz, cryptsetup.tcz and util-linux.tcz.
Thank you in advance for any help

Offline Onyarian

Re: Truecrypt Dismount problem
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 05:29:27 AM »
Do you have as dependencies of truecrypt.tcz the lvm2.tcz?

Offline jackrnm

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 01:18:03 PM »
yes - all dependencies have been installed that I know of and there is no problem creating an encrypted container just in the Dismount

Offline Onyarian

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 04:22:03 PM »
I utilize truecrypt and tc for a long time and never have had this problem of dismounting an encrypted volume, perhaps you have some troubles with user permissions.
Do you prove it in an other installation of tc? perhaps loading only truecrypt.tcz with this three extensions (fuse.tcz gtk2.tcz lvm2.tcz)(without Nautilus.tcz, cryptsetup.tcz and util-linux.tcz)?

Offline jackrnm

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 01:47:09 AM »
Onyarian: I tried your suggestions on a machine that only has TCL on it and still find the same problem.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »
Hi jackrnm
Device or resource busy. Command failed”
That message usually indicates that something is still accessing the device. For example, if you have something
mounted at  /home/tc//xyz  and you open a terminal and  cd xyz  , you will get that message. The same holds
true if you have a file manager opened to that directory.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 02:00:12 PM »
You can try:
sudo fuser -m /path/to/mountpoint
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline jackrnm

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 08:01:56 PM »
Thank you all for your suggestions - much appreciated.
I did find a work around which is not very satisfactory but it works using the terminal

sudo umount /mnt/truecrypt1     (the number is the slot number in the GUI)
then
sudo umount /mnt/dm-0
then go back to the GUI and hit the DISMOUNT button and then EXIT
I am sure there is a configuration file somewhere that could be modified to do this automatically. I just have enough knowledge now to do it. For now this will have to do

PROBLEM SOLVED