WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: /usr permissions changed from root to staff  (Read 2622 times)

Offline KHarvey

/usr permissions changed from root to staff
« on: July 10, 2012, 06:35:16 AM »
For some reason when installing some extensions the permissions for /usr change from root to staff.  I had this problem before with xlockmore and the extension owner fixed the problem and a reinstall fixed it.  The problem is there are a lot of extensions that change this permission.  At one point I thought I would try to create a list of extensions, but it was almost every other extension I was installing.  If need be I can resurrect the list if someone wants, but it was pretty lengthy.

My question is can I just do a chown -R root /usr to fix this problem?  Or another command to fix the permission? 
Normally I just uninstall galc and then reinstall galc to solve the problem since I know that galc is a known working extension.  My problem right now is I am unable to reboot to uninstall galc (I have a couple projects running that I don't want to reboot and lose everything).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:35:42 AM by KHarvey »

Offline tinypoodle

Re: /usr permissions change from root to staff
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:19:04 AM »
My question is can I just do a chown -R root /usr to fix this problem?  Or another command to fix the permission?

Your command would change owner, not group.
Use either 'sudo chown -R owner:group' or 'chgrp -R group'.

Not sure about the consequences of changing group though, what makes you want to do so?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline KHarvey

Re: /usr permissions changed from root to staff
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:35:22 AM »
Sorry, it's a bit early for me.  I needed to run virtual box this morning when my UK office woke me up.  But when I go to open my work VM I receive the following error:
Code: [Select]
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine WorkSucks
Failed to load VMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT)

The error is caused because /usr has the permissions of tc:staff, but it needs to be root:root
If I run chown -R root:root on /usr will that break anything else?  I just want to make sure that if I change the permissions to (in theory) what they are supposed to be, I am not going to cause any extra damage.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 07:40:56 AM »
Yes, it'll break extension loading. /usr/local/tce* need to be accessible to tc.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:04:23 AM »
Booting with "norestore base" could give you an idea about pristine ownership/permissions ;)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)