WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: nfs questions?  (Read 8093 times)

Offline bigpcman

nfs questions?
« on: April 30, 2009, 01:50:44 PM »
I'm trying to get nfs to work on tc2rc1. I've installed the nfs_utils and modified the exports file to include:
/home/tc 192.168.0.114(rw,insecure,no_root_squash)

I started nfs using the jwm menu and see that portmap, rpc.statd and rpc.mountd have all started. I then tried to access the server with a nfs client and receive an error message path not found after a long delay. The nfs client shows the nfs server (192.168.0.100) as part of the nfs network default LAN but that's as far as I get. I use http://192.168.0.100:/home/tc as the server address.

Note that "exportfs -a" generates error messages "can't open exports or rmtab for reading".

Any ideas would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:54:17 PM by bigpcman »
big pc man

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: nfs questions?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 02:12:13 PM »
Whem moving nfs-utils to 2.x I removed the .dep file that contained the filesystems kernel module extension and nfs server will not work without it.  I will add the filesystems extension to the info file instead since it is not needed for nfs client support, which would be probably the most common use. 

/etc/mtab is a symlink and I get that mtab error as well but all works well even with the error.

I will look at my setup when I get home to see what else needs to be done for using tc as an nfs server.  I can't remember off the top of my head.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 04:50:13 PM »
I am running TC 1.x as my nfs server, and I can't see anything beyond the standard nfs configuration that I did.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 06:28:18 PM »
I am running TC 1.x as my nfs server, and I can't see anything beyond the standard nfs configuration that I did.

Do you mean after "filesystems-2.6.26.tcem" is added as a dependency and installed with portmap.tce  and tcp_wrappers.tcel ?
big pc man

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 06:34:53 PM »
Yes, filesystems-2.6.26.tcem must be loaded.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 07:21:17 PM »
Ok, I'm getting a little farther now. The nfs probe now seems happy and the pingNFS gets a full response but the show exports returns nothing. It looks like the exportfs is not updating correctly. I now get "could not open or lock errors" on exports, rmtab, etab, and xtab. I tried exportsfs with nfs started and stopped, no difference. Any ideas?

edit:
I added "/home/tc 192.168.0.114(rw,insecure,no_root_squash)" to the "exports" file as I said before and now get "access denied enter another user name and password" from the client when I try and access "192.168.0.114:/home/tc". So I entered user name tc and my password and get the same response. But at least the client has a valid path now.

edit2: attached nfs client trace log.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:00:56 PM by bigpcman »
big pc man

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 06:58:32 AM »
tc2rc1

I'm still trying to get nfs working on tc2rc1 without success. The "exports" file modifications do not transfer to /var/lib/nfs/etab after executing the "exportfs -ra" command. Actually all of the files etab,rmtab and xtab are empty. I'm using the instructions from the nfs faq below. Does anyone else have this working? If so I will put this aside.

Code: [Select]
C1. How are exported file systems and client mount points tracked on the server?
A. /etc/exports contains information about how file systems should normally be exported. This is only read by exportfs.

/var/lib/nfs/etab contains information about what filesystems should be exported to whom at the moment.
/var/lib/nfs/rmtab contains a list of which filesystems actually are mounted by certain clients at the moment.
/proc/fs/nfs/exports contains information about what filesystems are exported to actual client (individual, not subnet or whatever) at the moment.
/var/lib/nfs/xtab is the same information as /proc/fs/nfs/exports but is maintained by nfs-utils instead of directly by the kernel. It is only used if /proc isn't mounted.

C2. Can I modify export permissions without needing to remount clients in order to have them take effect?
A. Yes. The safest thing to do is edit /etc/exports and run "exportfs -r".

Note that when a mount request arrives, mountd check .../etab to see if that host is allowed access. If it is, an entry is placed in .../rmtab and the filesystem is exported thus creating an entry in /proc/fs/nfs/exports.
big pc man

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 07:04:22 AM »
The files in /var/lib/nfs exist  in the extension so there may be a permissions error.  I made the extension before we had startup scripts I believe, and if the files must exist then creating them with the touch command in the script may work better.  If the files themselves to not have to exist then creating the directory may be all that is needed.  I will check on it tonight.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 07:26:36 AM »
The files in /var/lib/nfs exist  in the extension so there may be a permissions error.  I made the extension before we had startup scripts I believe, and if the files must exist then creating them with the touch command in the script may work better.  If the files themselves to not have to exist then creating the directory may be all that is needed.  I will check on it tonight.

Thanks. I did a chmod 777 on all the etab,rmtab and xtab files as a brute force test and that did not change anything. Is there anything else you would like me to try? I've dedicated today to testing tc2rc1.
big pc man

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 08:07:07 AM »
One more thing I will look at tonight is that the files may need to exist in /usr/local/var/lib/nfs since it was compiled to /usr/local.  I will check and see and hopefully get it straight.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 01:53:42 PM »
please someone fix that bloody
tag...

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 04:44:56 PM »
/var/lib/nfs is the right spot.  Here are my file contents:

tc@box:~$ cat /var/lib/nfs/etab
/mnt/hda2/data  192.168.0.*(rw,sync,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check
,secure_locks,acl,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534)
/mnt/sda1       192.168.0.*(rw,sync,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,
secure_locks,acl,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534)
tc@box:~$ cat /var/lib/nfs/rmtab
192.168.0.101:/mnt/sda1:0x00000008
192.168.0.103:/mnt/sda1:0x00000002
tc@box:~$ cat /var/lib/nfs/state
tc@box:~$ cat /var/lib/nfs/xtab
/mnt/sda1       192.168.0.101(rw,sync,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,
no_subtree_check,secure_locks,acl,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534)
tc@box:~$

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 07:22:08 PM »
/var/lib/nfs is the right spot.  Here are my file contents:

tc@box:~$ cat /var/lib/nfs/etab
/mnt/hda2/data  192.168.0.*(rw,sync,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check
,secure_locks,acl,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534)
/mnt/sda1       192.168.0.*(rw,sync,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,
secure_locks,acl,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534)
tc@box:~$ cat /var/lib/nfs/rmtab
192.168.0.101:/mnt/sda1:0x00000008
192.168.0.103:/mnt/sda1:0x00000002
tc@box:~$ cat /var/lib/nfs/state
tc@box:~$ cat /var/lib/nfs/xtab
/mnt/sda1       192.168.0.101(rw,sync,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,
no_subtree_check,secure_locks,acl,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534)
tc@box:~$

Jason are you running tc2rc1 with the nfs and files systems  extensions?
big pc man

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 07:26:58 PM »
I am running 1.2 on the nfs server.

Offline cannonfodder

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 03:24:14 PM »
Not sure if I should be adding my question to this thread or if it would be more appropriate to start a new one but here goes.

I've been trying unsuccessfully to get nfs-server going on a PPI/TCE install of TC1.3.

I was getting some of the same error messages as bigpcman ("can't open exports or rmtab for reading") but now that I've managed to get past those, when I try to start to start the nfs-server ("/usr/local/etc/init.d/nfs-server start"), I get "FATAL: Module nfsd not found."

I checked and "filesystems-2.6.26.tcem" is installed.

Does this have anything to do with my chosen mode of operation?

I ask because I was experiencing similar problems when trying to compile from source ("compiletc.tce" was installed but "make" error messages suggested it wasn't). The problems went away when I ran Tiny Core from the live CD (PPR/TCE).

Is there soething basic I'm missing about the Tiny Core design concept here?