WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: how to install smallest core frugally without a cd or a usb?  (Read 1463 times)

Offline dan-uvw

As i understand it, it is possible to have an installation of Core without dedicating a partition to it.  That is, as i understand it, Core can coexist with another linux distro on the same partition (the Core would boot from a couple of files after suitably modifying one's grub setup).

Is it possible to rig this up without burning a cd or a usb?

What i would like to do is just download or otherwise create the two files, update my grub, and then reboot.

I don't need a gui, just a command line environment (although i would like to be able to ssh in, this is not strictly necessary).

But i would like to skip booting from a cd or a usb, even on a one-time only basis, because if i only care about putting a couple of files in a filesystem, it seems like i should be able to use my regular os (debian 6.0.4) to do this, and not have to surrender control to some cd or usb for this purpose.

I didn't see this in the FAQ, but maybe it is in some other place?  Thanks in advance for any info, including any pointers.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: how to install smallest core frugally without a cd or a usb?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 06:52:16 PM »
You need vmlinuz and core.gz.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/release/distribution_files/
Edit your boot loader config file.

This has been discussed about 100 times and covered to death in the wiki.