WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Newbie with full partitions?  (Read 2007 times)

Offline driverfan

Newbie with full partitions?
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:26:19 PM »
I installed tiny core from a USB drive on a machine with a 128MB DOM.  It boots fine, but I cannot download extensions or modify files without getting error about disk space.  When I look at the filesystems tab of the tiny core system stats, I see:

rootfs 165.9M 79.2M 116.6M 30% /
tmpfs 92.1M 0 92.1M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1 117.2M 117.2M 100% /mnt/sda1
/dev/sda1 117.2M 117.2M 100% /home
/dev/sda1 117.2M 117.2M 100% /opt

the mounts tab shows:

/dev/sda1 on /mnt/sda1 type ext4 (rw,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)

I am sure there is something very obvious that I am missing, but since this is my first experience with linux of any flavor, I don't know where to start.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Newbie with full partitions?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 03:22:42 PM »
Your sda1 is a small 117M partition and it is full.
You should not be using opt= or home= until you fully understand the implications.
Your tce directory probably belongs on a different partition.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 04:56:55 PM »
Hi driverfan
Since you decided to go with persistent /home and /opt directories, did you remember to remove the  home  and  opt
entries from the  /opt/.filetool.lst  file?

Offline driverfan

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 11:38:13 AM »
Thank you both for the input.  I took Gerald's advice and deleted the partition and reinstalled without the home and opt options.  The installation now has free space on the /dev/sda1.  That is a good starting point, but I am interested in a persistent home and opt, as I intend to use it to run virtualbox with the same VM every time the system boots.  The VM is only 40MB, but it takes a long time to unpack on an 800MHz processor.

Rich, I did not remove the entries from the /opt/.filetool.lst file.  I re-read the persistence for dummies wiki post again and I see it is very clearly spelled out in there.  I will update the boot configuration file and update the /opt/.filetool.lst.  Thank you for the direction.

The more I learn about tcl, the more I like it.