WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: 4.4/current extlinux sigill  (Read 5832 times)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: 4.4/current extlinux sigill
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 05:55:37 AM »
I am wondering though what version of TC is considered stable. I donwloaded the "current" 4.x and I see a lot of things that don't work as expected (extlinux, python, hplip, cups, appbrowser-cli). Or maybe it's because if the machine I don't know.

Not counting the search issue, all the other things you mention were something needing a newer cpu than your 586. While we do target 486, you can imagine that it's not that often we actually get to test on one ;)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline avalon

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 05:48:04 PM »
Maybe you could try the rebuilt cups/libcups extensions at: http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/src/cups

Wow, got it working. At least partially but works for me. I could only setup a raw queue but it's enough. I identified a few issues. There are more with the foomatic/hplip/cups/perl but at least what I know is below.

I see these dependencies not defined for cups but should be:
Xlibs (libjpeg)
libpng
libcups
dbus

Actually for a raw queue libcups and dbus are enough. But the picture libraries are needed for cups filters.

foomatic seems to require require python so needs to be in deps (2.6 seems to be working , 2.7 throws errors like with hplip).

If you try starting hplip, for example run hp-setup and see them you will see errors from python. I have a thread in TCE bugs about it. As I said I don't rely on python so not really care but for your information.

Thank you again for the assistance! Perhaps I will bug you with a few more questions until I have some other details sorted out.

P.S. cups tinycore raw queue mini howto:
1. install tinycore, setup network
2. modprobe parport_pc; modprobe lp
2. install libcups, cups, dbus and start them on boot (/usr/local/etc/init.d/dbus start , ...)
3. open localhost:631
4. add printer -> raw -> raw queue
5. allow sharing from admin page

on client:
1. add printer in local cups
2. choose IPP URI: ipp://<tinycore machine>:port/printers/<whatever you used as printer name>
3. choose printer make and model or use some other means like hplip
4. print a test page from the client machine

on tinycore again:
1. restrict IPs that can print on the printer queue
2. setup cups config to be persisted with back-up or however you like (see http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:printer_setup_using_cups)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 06:05:14 PM by avalon »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 11:34:53 PM »
Wow, got it working.
Good  :)

I see these dependencies not defined for cups but should be:
Xlibs (libjpeg)
libpng
libcups
dbus
cups.tcz.dep contains libcups and dbus, but I did not consider cups would be run without a gui (libpng, libjpeg).

Rebuilt cups extension posted.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 02:26:50 AM »
foomatic seems to require require python so needs to be in deps (2.6 seems to be working , 2.7 throws errors like with hplip).

I'm not sure that foomatic requires python - it used to require perl, but the latest versions did away with that.

hplip-2.7 is working for me with the previous version of the python (v2.7) extension, it will not work with the python-2.6 extension since it looks for files under /usr/local/lib/python2.7.

I think hp-setup requires a gui (qt as I recall) and hplip was compiled without gui

Anyway, once python (v2.7) is sorted, it's probably better to start a new thread for any hplip problems that might remain.

Offline avalon

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 11:45:09 AM »
hplip-2.7 is working for me with the previous version of the python (v2.7) extension, it will not work with the python-2.6 extension since it looks for files under /usr/local/lib/python2.7.
yeah, I had to copy these files to /usr/local/lib/python2.6 and change the python2 symlink so I can test with python 2.6

Anyway, once python (v2.7) is sorted, it's probably better to start a new thread for any hplip problems that might remain.

I'm not going to use hplip so I can't tell much about its problems. Somehow indicative is 'hp-check -t' that returned a lot of warnings and errors for me. As I said earlier, I'm not sure recent versions of hplip still support my printer at all (HP Laserjet 4), as well I'm now a happy user of the gutenprint ppd so don't really care. But hplip appears to need a lot of love.